Old and crippled, but still around

JSCA

Hatching
Oct 31, 2016
Hello,

I am an elderly man who is badly crippled but am starting a flock of chickens. I am taking the time and effort to make the pens, etc. combatable with my limitations, which may mean some fine tuning on the details of construction.

I look forward to the insight and wisdom of the other members here.

Thanks

Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. I wish you every success with your set-up. I'm sure that other members will learn from your experiences, so it may be an idea to keep some kind of record of what you have done, what works / what didn't etc. and then post it.

Best wishes
CT

welcome-byc.gif

Good for you! Raising chickens is a very rewarding and entertaining hobby, and the eggs are a bonus.

Check out the Coops tab at the top for inspiration and CTKen had a good idea about documenting what you do, it could be very helpful to others.

Thanks for joining us!

Greetings from Kansas, JSCA, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! Three cheers to you for not letting let your physical limitations deter you from raising a few birds. Planned and built properly, I think it can be a reasonably hassle free enterprise and very rewarding to you! Best of luck and thanks for joining BYC! :)

Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am glad you are not letting that inconvenience you, and are going ahead and getting some chickens! If you find some tips and tricks you find helpful and ideas for others with disabilities, you might consider writing an article on it! Be sure to keep us posted on your chicken keeping adventures!

I am permanently disabled and came up with the designs for our hen house and run to work with my disabilities. Fortunately, my husband built it for i would have not been able to do that task on my own. Loving my chickens! There Is minimal "work" required of me. Any heavy lifting/work, which is minimal and not often can be done by my husband. I hope you enjoy!

Welcome to BYC! :cd

BYC had a thread re: people with disabilities and how to alter their coops etc. Mainly if they were wheel chair users, they had the coop raised above ground so they could wheel on over and be able to clean and tend to birds by themselves. The coop was long and narrow with sliding doors so one part could be done at a time. I'm sorry I cannot remember more.

Back
Top Bottom