Old and new Muscovy

Christina Skye

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2017
I currently have one female left from a flock that got completely taken out by a family of otters this summer. One of my girls hatched two baby boys before she was taken and one of them got taken as well. I’m currently down to a girl, 1.5 years old, and my baby boy, 3.5 months old.
They have a funny relationship. She wants to follow him, but also spends lots of time in the broody box. (She was broody for a looonng time over the summer, but in a place I couldn’t get to) I never knew how many eggs she had, or what was happening to them, but she never came or with any babies. :(
This past week I see her walking crouched down with her wings lifted a little, and she squeaks every so often while walking like this. Is she just signaling to Mr. Young Buck, or is she hurt/uncomfortable?
When will he be able to satisfy her? Is she wanting to be broody?
If there’s eggs in the box should I take them to make her start coming out, or will it not make a difference?

We’re so new to this, and these birds are so confusing in so many ways.
Thanks in advance for your help.

I currently have one female left from a flock that got completely taken out by a family of otters this summer.

One of my girls hatched two baby boys before she was taken and one of them got taken as well. I’m currently down to a girl, 1.5 years old, and my baby boy, 3.5 months old.
Very sorry for your losses. :hugs

They have a funny relationship. She wants to follow him, but also spends lots of time in the broody box. (She was broody for a looonng time over the summer, but in a place I couldn’t get to) I never knew how many eggs she had, or what was happening to them, but she never came or with any babies. :(
It's good that you still have the two. Are there eggs in the broody box?

This past week I see her walking crouched down with her wings lifted a little, and she squeaks every so often while walking like this. Is she just signaling to Mr. Young Buck, or is she hurt/uncomfortable?
That's the Muscovy "I'm sitting on a nest so don't mess with me behavior", she's fine. But if you can, post a video of her doing it. That way we'll know for sure. To post video, upload to YouTube or Vimeo then copy/paste the link here.

When will he be able to satisfy her?
He might start trying to mount her in the next few months.

Is she wanting to be broody?
Sounds like she might be.

If there’s eggs in the box should I take them to make her start coming out, or will it not make a difference?
Yes, remove the eggs.

We’re so new to this, and these birds are so confusing in so many ways.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Lots of people here to help, so ask as many questions as you want and I'm sure you'll get lots of advice.

Remove all the eggs. Not fertile and destroy the nest. Block her a few days from going back to the nest.
Don't you have a safe Coop/Pen for the Ducks from predators?
The ducks we let roam free. They have the broody box that we close at night.
Before the spring, when the next sets of babies start coming, we’ll have a safer place for them all.
They had been fine until the otters moved in. They are gone now.

Very sorry for your losses. :hugs

*Thank you. It was like no matter what we did they would find a way into ANYTHING!!! We have since erraticated the problem.

It's good that you still have the two. Are there eggs in the broody box?

That's the Muscovy "I'm sitting on a nest so don't mess with me behavior", she's fine. But if you can, post a video of her doing it. That way we'll know for sure. To post video, upload to YouTube or Vimeo then copy/paste the link here.

*I’ll try to get a video today if I see/get her out.

He might start trying to mount her in the next few months.

Sounds like she might be.

Yes, remove the eggs.

Lots of people here to help, so ask as many questions as you want and I'm sure you'll get lots of advice.

*Thank you so much. I knew if I came here someone would help. These birds have become all mine. My family has decided to leave them one anymore, and they think I do too much for them. :( But I love my babies.

Back
Top Bottom