Old and new

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Why didn't you use PT wood for the run walls? With the climate you describe I can't imagine them lasting very long. Where will the access door be to get into the run?
Really liked your question about the wood, and you chicken long term eggers can help newbies like me. Like most it is easy to see danger were non existes but who is to know for sure.

Funny, I used pt for base but not for uprights. I built a back porch and changed to all cedar so I had the fir. Rest of shed is made of fir. I use a stain from Stain and Seal Experts that really lasts compared to most. It doesn't flake off, the entire frame will be stained and is OK for chickens. I was also afraid that the copper in the PT might harm the chickens. I was going to make it from cedar but the cost was over double and not sure the chickens would like the smell? I'm 70 and this coop should outlast me. See picture of newly built back porch.
Very cute coop! 😍

Does water come in contact with the pt wood and birds drink the water.?
Usually penned birds are provided with drinkers. Any water that was temporarily in contact with the PT wood then hit the ground would soak in. Any puddles may be drunk from but these would also contain chicken feces, parasite eggs and bacteria at a much higher concentration than any minute amount of Cu salts that may leach from the wood. It would take much more than that to reach cooper toxicity.
I've had my flock around PT wood for almost 5 years with zero ill effects.

Like many when I purchased the new chickens I also got a small feeder and water, cheapest. Well the feeder top bottle kept coming off and it would require cleaning every day. The waterer was even worse, they would jump on, spill, and poop in it, and needed cleaning twice a day! After spending hours reading all the hype I made these two 5 gal bucket systems. With zero experience, and as a retired design engineer, I made these two 5 gallon bucket systems. Hope they work!
20230409_104219.jpg

I'm old but new to chickens. Live in the Pacific Noth west, one mile from ocean. Got four chick's from local feed store and plans from Steamy kitchen palace coop. They are almost two weeks old and the coop is less then half built, problem is it just keeps raining. Anyone have issues with these plans?
MakoMark
Welcome to BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom