Old and Rare Breeds

In your standard look at the scale of points. It holds the answers to your questions.
Still a newbie in some areas and don't know how it all relates....... In the general scale of points Body and Fluff (fluff-part of the feathers) is only 8 points out of 100. Condition and vigor is 10 points, can a bird in molt be considered in good condition?? Feather quality is discussed and its importance. If feathers are missing due to molt can this be judged accurately? Trying to learn here......... If as NYREDS said a show is basically a beauty contest is it appropriate to take a bird to a show when not in full feather due to molt if you deem the bird to be champion material?

To my way of think a bird in the moult should stay on the farm. It has no place in the exhibition hall.

There is a reason the folks who have been showing a while refer to the cold as 'feather weather.'

I totally agree....but again, if you are doing a completely new activity, it isn't always very easy to find all of the required information.

I just think that a one page flier with the obvious basics, like "bring only clean, disease free birds, who are in good quality feather" or something like that, would help the ignorant who just need a little information.

Of course, there are I am sure, many who simply don't care, and will bring whatever. But, more information out there will be more helpful, and maybe help a few.

Alaskan,

By your comments you seem to be a very nice and considerate person. That is always admirable. Indeed, the 'flier' idea is not a bad one. But what about the responsibility of the exhibitor?
Many of the types nyreds is referring to don't have a Standard or even know what one is.

Personally, I think there is plenty of information out there if folks are truly interested.

Concerning 'disease free birds' all our Southern shows state that any bird looking sick will not be allowed in. They further state that if a bird has mites the owner will be told to remove the bird from the grounds.

I think it would help everyone that wants to exhibit to first attend at least one show if not more, buy a Standard, and talk to some of the judges/breeders/exhibitors before they ever place a bird in a show coop.

Last edited:
That is remarkable isn't it. A poultry show is nothing more than a beauty contest so it always surprises me when i see birds that are so far out of show condition being shown. I judged a show this past Sunday & there were some birds entered that I'd have been embarassed to have seen in my barn let alone in a show cage with my exhibitor number on it. They were present in every class i judged [and I saw some in other classes as well]. Birds that were filthy & caked with manure; birds with missing tails-not some missing tail feathers mind you-missing entire tails; birds with overgrown beaks; birds with all the points frozen off their comb; birds with every condition issue possible. Interestingly, the worst of them were all non-standard birds-you know the Lemon Cuckoos, the Lavenders, the "AOVs". In short, the kind of birds so popular here. It's bad enough when birds like this are seen in junior shows but the worst of them were in the open classes. And yes, I did overhear some of the owners of these birds complaing that their birds didn't fare well because the judges were in competent.
Now you know I always try to show some Non-Standard Breeds like my Malgache or GaCua or Silver Cubalayas. BUT, my reason for showing them is to get them out in front of the poultry world and not to win (since they can't anyway). You can believe me that there clean.... all the way down to their toe nails!

I exhibited a Brown Red Hennie Cock at our show in Barnwell last year. He was the talk of the show. A beautiful bird that caught the eye of every judge there! We all had some great conversations over that bird. BUT HE WAS CLEAN!

I was at the Pacific Northwest Poultry Show this weekend in Washington observing. Gary Overton was one of the judges. An exhibitor brought 8 New Hampshires. Two were Cocks who were just coming out of molt, their feathers looked awfull. First thought I would be embarassed to bring these two birds to be judged. Second thought, molt is a natural occurence and these birds were clean and obviously well prepared. In this situation does the judge look at "type" and forgive the timing of the molt or is my first thought the right one?
I saw those same birds and laughed. One of our hens started to drop feathers at the show but still took best of class under one judge.

I think there should be a "nasty muck" area, where people who show up with dirty birds, are made to go into so they know what it looks and feels like.

Not only that, but anyone witnessing a dirty or sick bird, should talk to the exhibitor (if he she is on the spot). It's partly our fault if we stand by and let it happen. Also, the judges need to speak up too.

Just my not so humble opinion.

This is probably a good time to make this post.

Everyone knows I am partial to the old and rare breeds of poultry; particularly the Ancient Breeds. That said, many are in a sad state and need work. If you get into these birds live with them a few years; BREED TO THE STANDARD; CULL TO THE STANDARD. Once the birds are where they should be (not perfect; but good representatives of the breed) THEN EXHIBIT THEM, BUT NOT BEFORE. A sub-standard fowl that is a poor representation of the breed does more harm to our preservation efforts than good. Patience is a virtue.

Back
Top Bottom