Old and Rare Breeds

I love my Nankin, took 1st with all 3 and even Best of Breed and Show with my cockerel. I too will never be without them.

I guess people just stopped talking, lost interest. Sometimes it is hard to find rare breeds and it can be frustrating. I don't know. I am interested in rare breeds and their history but personally wasn't very successful with the rare breed of my choice. I didn't have the resources to large scale breed, struggled to find good birds, and thus now have more common breeds. What breeds are you interested in?
perfectly put.

I very much wanted Nankins, super historical, great personalities, blah, blah...

turns out that when they were bred in England they must have been kept in kitchen cupboards or something. NOT cold hardy. :rolleyes:

So I didn't get them since I didn't want house chickens.

I guess people just stopped talking, lost interest. Sometimes it is hard to find rare breeds and it can be frustrating. I don't know. I am interested in rare breeds and their history but personally wasn't very successful with the rare breed of my choice. I didn't have the resources to large scale breed, struggled to find good birds, and thus now have more common breeds. What breeds are you interested in?
It's not that I'm so much looking for a specific breed, I just enjoyed the discussions on the breeds.
I breed and raise Cubalaya in large fowl and bantam.

I don't envy you with all those predators. Your coop must be built like Fort Knox. Out of curiosity what breeds do you favor in the North"
I have to have breeds with clean feet, tiny combs, and small to no wattles.

After trying a number of breeds I currently have:
Dominiques. Pretty excellent, and from a historical standpoint the best historical USA breed.

Leghorns. Can't beat their egg laying. I have them in Rose Comb, but the males still have huge wattles, girls are OK

Appenzeller Spitzhauben. No idea on how historical they are. :confused: But they are my favorite in the standards. They also lay well, and have small wattles.

Ameraucana. Still have some... they are good in the weather, but they just don't thrill me in the personality or egg laying.

In bantam I have a single Wyandotte that I like, and a breeding set of Wheaten Ameraucana. I like the bantam Ams. a great deal. the bantam d'anvers are good, and I like my single bantam leghorn.... but I am trying to REDUCE breeds.

I believe Sicilian Buttercups are a very ancient (italian) breed, and the American Buttercup Club has stated the breed needs help to stay out of obscurity. They are also the only breed in the world to posses a buttercup comb, so it's a trait that should definitely be kept alive.

Can you follow up and let us know how it's going with the redcaps? I'm putting this on my 'possible' list next year.
So far the Redcaps from Sandhill Preservation are healthy and growing well. It's like night and day compared to the ones I got from Murray McMurray in 2016. It's too soon to tell what kind of size, shape and color they are going to end up with, but just the fact that they are living and not dropping one by one makes me very happy. I'll try to remember to come back and update with pictures once I see how they mature.

Faverolles are a great utility bird and an old french breed. I am the vice president of the Faverolles Fanciers if anyone is interested in getting stock please contact me.

Henry

Back
Top Bottom