Old and Rare Breeds

Just curious, is there anyway to tell a really dark blue and black apart other than test breeding? Is the down underneath a different color or anything? I have a serama cockeral that I'm not sure which it is. It has the lacing you are talking about, and has had me really confused on color. The pic was taken indoors with a flash.

That is a blue. Undercolor should be "slate," perhaps what you are calling silvery. Some black birds have white as an undercolor.

It's been my understanding, and I am FAR from an expert, that in the blue family mating that the black, nor the white in the splash is dominant so when you cross them, the two colors mix and make gray (blue).

Think of it more as blue dilutes the color once(one blue gene), and splash is diluted twice(carries two blue genes). Black diluted some to blue, then diluted more to splash.

Blue is also great to breed to White. It will help get rid of brassiness. Black will work as well but Blue is easier to work with. Blue did wonders for the White (recessive) Cubalaya.

I know there was some discussion on here recently about LF WF Black Spanish. Anyone have some recommendations on who might have some good birds? We have several breeding projects in conjunction with the Heritage Poultry Conservancy and want to add this breed to what we already work on.

Any suggestions will be helpful in addition to some leads we already have.

Quote:
I know there was some discussion on here recently about LF WF Black Spanish. Anyone have some recommendations on who might have some good birds? We have several breeding projects in conjunction with the Heritage Poultry Conservancy and want to add this breed to what we already work on.

Any suggestions will be helpful in addition to some leads we already have.
The two names that pop up first are Jim Bell in TN and Mike Miller in NC. Also last spring/April (I think) in the Poultry Press there was a man by the name of Mike Bush(?) There was a color photo of his hen on the front page. Nice, his cockerel also won can't remember what show it was.

I raise them. Working with a long time breeder here in VA.

Here are some of my birds. We have decent faces here, type needs work. Also keeping an eye on weights, shank and eye color. I am happy with egg size. It is really hard to find people who want to take on these birds. They are the kind of bird that everyone wants to look at, but few want to commit to.

Oh and I love this old photograph. Look at the size of that face.

Back
Top Bottom