Old and Rare Breeds

Kind of both/and. There is nothing necessarily wrong with change. But let's take a couple of examples: The Standard calls for the Cubalaya cock to be 6 lbs. I have those (after over 10 years of working with them), Sam Brush does, Zach does and maybe Jim Zook. You'll be hard pressed to find one otherwise. You'll find good type out there but not one that is 6 lbs.

I remember the Buckeyes back in the 70s. The best out there today would not compare and folks have really been working hard on them for several years now.

Let a breed go down and it takes a long time to bring them back. Numbers, you can just forget.

Cubalayas are on the upswing. I have two birds currently with the large genes. One is a BBRed decendant of Brush that weighed exactly 6lbs at full maturity. I just weighed a bird that came out BBRed( mom was white) he was weighed about two weeks ago, and is 2 years old his mature weight was 6lbs10oz. I have a hen of this same breeding (white mother) that weighed 4lbs at 7 months old, but haven't weighed her since and she is about 2. Hatched a pullet this year that is now 9ish months old and 4lbs 13oz I think. These birds are going to help tremendously in size. I can't speak for Jim Zook now, but he did have some smaller birds when I started raising cubas. Got a compliment from a judge this weekend but I'll save that for another forum.
Zach

No, even brought my camera so that I could but I was too busy. That was a very nice bird, that beat out the Leghorns.

That was my dads last show as secretary I believe, and it turned out great. We are all physically exhausted, my knee is swollen from just doing so much( had surgery three weeks ago and haven't been able to do anything) and I dread school tomorrow. I think I'm done showing this year...think. I will probably go to Fresno, but I have put everything into breeding pens today. Also want to go up to Washington, but I will probably be busy.
Thank you for coming Walt, and make sure you post some pictures!

No, even brought my camera so that I could but I was too busy. That was a very nice bird, that beat out the Leghorns.

That was my dads last show as secretary I believe, and it turned out great. We are all physically exhausted, my knee is swollen from just doing so much( had surgery three weeks ago and haven't been able to do anything) and I dread school tomorrow. I think I'm done showing this year...think. I will probably go to Fresno, but I have put everything into breeding pens today. Also want to go up to Washington, but I will probably be busy.
Thank you for coming Walt, and make sure you post some pictures!

I will post some the the Spanish tomorrow.

w.

Back
Top Bottom