Old and Rare Breeds

I need a bigger scale platform. The one I use is too small and the birds slip off.

the best way we have found yet is to hang a killing cone from a hanging scale. It's nice. I put the birds in, and, once they're calm, I release their legs slowly. They usually sit still long enough for me to get a nice reading, and, if they try to move, their positioning disavantages any attempt at escape.

Last edited:
I have used many types of scales in the past. However I recently needed a portably battery operated scale to take on the road with me for weighing birds. Picked up a hanging scale from Cabelas for weighing fish. Tie a string/rope to the bottom weigh hook, tie a nut to the end of the string and hang the birds upside down with the rope wrapped around the legs. Will give an accurate measurement in a few seconds to the nearest ounce or in grams. Very handy for less than 40 bucks,

I too prefer a hanging scale. I have the old type that you use to see in the produce dept of the grocery store. If you lay the bird on his back you can let go of his legs and get an accurate reading. Of course, our birds (Oriental Games and Games) are very easy to handle anyway. It works well for me.

Regardless of which scale you use or method for weighing, the important thing to remember is that to breed to the Standard you MUST have a scales. There is no way around it.

If the scale is so important in the breeding of birds, then why is it so rejected for judges to weight birds at shows?
I too prefer a hanging scale. I have the old type that you use to see in the produce dept of the grocery store. If you lay the bird on his back you can let go of his legs and get an accurate reading. Of course, our birds (Oriental Games and Games) are very easy to handle anyway. It works well for me.

Regardless of which scale you use or method for weighing, the important thing to remember is that to breed to the Standard you MUST have a scales. There is no way around it.

Back
Top Bottom