Old and Rare Breeds

2 different groups... the 2nd one was created out of protest from several members that like you want to work with the APA not against them... I have found that most ppl raising poultry are great ppl but a couple ppl with some money to invest can sure make it look like they have a nice poultry club lol...
I am so confused
hu.gif
Are the American Sussex Association and the American Sussex Breeders two groups or the same group? I was invited to join the Sussex group on FB, did with no research (to my great chagrin), and now am horrified to see all this discussion of thumbing their noses at the APA, believing they can somehow require adherence to specific genetic makeup as if it could even be determined. Arrgh. I have always thought of Sussex folk as much like the breed - useful, even-tempered, and self-reliant. This apparent takeover of the breed club is very disconcerting.

2 different groups... the 2nd one was created out of protest from several members that like you want to work with the APA not against them... I have found that most ppl raising poultry are great ppl but a couple ppl with some money to invest can sure make it look like they have a nice poultry club lol...

So American Sussex Breeders is the group wishing to continue working with APA? I like to support breed clubs when I can afford to and it irritates me when I've sent my money and then find out the club isn't really working so much for the breed as against the APA. <sigh> Maybe there are issues I don't know enough about, maybe they feel they are completely justified, but coming from years in AKC dog breeds I already know there is no sense in trying to fight the sanctioning organization, and taking over breed clubs serves only to divide those working for the betterment of the breed. That usually winds up hurting the breed. As you rightly say, those with the money usually manage to create the appearance of being in the right, and sadly they are also often those who have issues with their lines they can't breed out so they want to change the standard to meet what they have. I guess I don't need a breed club to breed what I think are birds that meet the standard, I have only begun acquiring what will be next year's breeding stock anyway, and have a great mentor to advise me.

I already know there is no sense in trying to fight the sanctioning organization, and taking over breed clubs serves only to divide those working for the betterment of the breed. That usually winds up hurting the breed.

You know, if we think of it, few are the breeds where it seems that the focus is "the good of the breed." So much is lost in the rubbish of color experiment, etc... The vast majority of standards were written very well, if focus were simply there it would be such a boon for poultry. One should not go about dividing kingdoms. The standard gives a wonderful direction for unity.

No that did not happen with Orpingtons, that was just a rumor that was spread around. Many of the people with the "English Orpingtons" don't show. Also, the standards are so close there wouldnt be much to change.
SO what happened? Did someone import English Sussex and now they want to change the Standard to conform to the English developments? Didn't this same thing happen with Orpingtons?

Last edited:
I am always amazed at the elitism that develops among folks (usually new to chickens but by no means is that always the case) who 'import' some chickens. lol. Don't they realize the one's we have are the results of imports too. It just gets funnier and funnier to me.

It's like the 'Imported' threads. I think it hilarious.

Last edited:
lol.... The Secretary at the time, the vice president, and 2 district directors all stated publicly that there goal was to change the standard... Rumor indeed... As soon as the story blew up all over the Internet the tune changed dramatically lol...
No that did not happen with Orpingtons, that was just a rumor that was spread around. Many of the people with the "English Orpingtons" don't show. Also, the standards are so close there wouldnt be much to change.

I really like the fact that we are importing birds again... its what happens after the import occurs that bothers me... We as Americans have a culture of wanting things right now and so when u have something new everyone wants it ASAP... that drives the price up and the quality of the bird down... some of these breeds/colors will be 20 years before they are back to where they need to be if ever(Silver Sussex anyone?)... Ive seen pic's of birds sold for 100's of $$$ that i would be embarrassed to say left my farm alive... The name of the game is cull!!! but i guess its hard to cull a bird u can sell for $100+ expesilly when u have a waiting list on them...
I am always amazed at the elitism that develops among folks (usually new to chickens but by no means is that always the case) who 'import' some chickens. lol. Don't they realize the one's we have are the results of imports too. It just gets funnier and funnier to me.

It's like the 'Imported' threads. I think it hilarious.

Back
Top Bottom