Old and Rare Breeds

Most will. You're always time and money ahead in the long run to invest in at least juvenile or adult birds. May be a bit higher up front cost, but you know what you're getting quality wise.
Yup... also I don't have a incubator at this time... I know it won't be till this spring before I get em but best start looking into breeders ;)

I had a phoenix/creves x but she unfortunately died recently she was a beautiful and very social bird. Would love to have another if i could even if i could get eggs i could hatch them myself in the incubator. Anyone?

Cape Fear Show, Smithfield, NC this weekend; Saturday 14 Dec 2013. Hope to see some of y'all there.
Dang it ! You all back there have the best shows !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
he.gif

All three of those have single combs. The Hedemora has the smallest single combs of those three, but there is still more than enough flesh sticking up to freeze solid.

I have no idea how people in those cold countries keep chickens with such giant combs free of frostbite.

If I wanted a garunteed no frostbite chicken, and didn't care about having a very old breed, I would just get Ameracaunas. That chicken has almost no facial flesh.
I am working on Marans with a pea comb...maybe just go all the way to a cushion since I have the Albertans here.
That said, the Albertan line I have going is really doing well although I will hatch as many offspring as I can this spring & summer & hopefully I do not have to increase egg size...............my definition of a good year round layer up north is a big egg~
But so far, they are doing extremely well, the off spring pullets began laying today, January 5th, 2014 at 10 AM in 27 degrees after nights of 24 degrees...yeah, that is a good northern chicken !
And good lookin' too!

big_smile.png

They so love pasta~~~~~~~~~~
This young male above is a son via a leghorn..............and I am not happy with his size although he is a sweetheart & very curious !
To his left you can see coloration of the pullet offspring.
ONWARD we thrudge !

Last edited:
The numbers of our old and rare breeds is on the rise based on recent show reports that I've seen. The quality of these birds is also excellent. I'm especially pleased to see so many of the Ancient Breeds doing so well at major shows across the country.

It takes alot of hard work and dedication to really make a difference in a breed. I know I've been working with Cubalayas now for near 15 years and I am finally seeing the progress I've been looking for in the breed.

The amount of time and money it takes for one of these breeds is beyond most peoples understanding. This is also why I don't just give or sell a Cubalaya to just anyone. With all this work in them, I want to see them go to someone who is going to continue to improve the breed and stick with it.

I agree........I've had the Pyncheon breed for almost 20 years and have been raising livestock in general for 50 plus years. A lot of hard work and dedication goes into preserving and maintaining any rare breed of livestock...I also raise Scottish Blackface Sheep since 1996 and hope to keep the sheep and Bantams for another 20 years or so.

Back
Top Bottom