Old and Rare Breeds

You would think, but supposedly not. However, there was much that went on that was not documented.

For example, in much of the chicken world you will hear it stated that Dr Clarke imported the first Asil into America in 1887. It was very publicized in the Gamefowl Journals of the day. However, recent information has come to light that Nick Arrington had already bred Asil into his line of fowl by the mid-1830s.

Last edited:
Breed histories are indeed interesting. However, many of the romantic stories associated with birds are just a piece of crap. People love a good yarn and that's what most of them are. The truth is usually not nearly as romantic, but in my mind is so much better.

Stories have sold game fowl for years and now I see it sells everything else as well.

I met a fellow once in Ohio selling trying to sell fowl that he said came from me (obviously he didn't know who I was). I talked with him for near half an hour. It was lie after lie. Finally, I called him a liar. He wanted to fight me he was so mad. Then, I just looked at him, told him my name and walked off.

What I really love is these deathbed stories. Some well known breeder is dying and sends for so-in-so and gives them their fowl. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but do you know how many times that same story has gone around in Game circles?

The other one you hear nowadays is about someone smuggling in eggs in their luggage.

Personally, I know that chicken people lie; so, when they open their mouths that is what I expect to hear. I proceed from there.

I'm not a pessimist. Instead, I'm a realistic optimist that knows a few things about chickens and a lot about people.

Last edited:
Breed histories are indeed interesting. However, many of the romantic stories associated with birds are just a piece of crap. People love a good yarn and that's what most of them are. The truth is usually not nearly as romantic, but in my mind is so much better.

Stories have sold game fowl for years and now I see it sells everything else as well.

I met a fellow once in Ohio selling trying to sell fowl that he said came from me (obviously he didn't know who I was). I talked with him for near half an hour. It was lie after lie. Finally, I called him a liar. He wanted to fight me he was so mad. Then, I just looked at him, told him my name and walked off.

What I really love is these deathbed stories. Some well known breeder is dying and sends for so-in-so and gives them their fowl. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but do you know how many times that same story as gone around in Game circles?

The other one you hear nowadays is about someone smuggling in eggs in their luggage.

Personally, I know that chicken people lie; so, when they open their mouths that is what I expect to hear. I proceed from there.

I'm not a pessimist. Instead, of a realistic optimist that knows a few things about chickens and a lot about people.

LOL!!! In my line of work, we believe half of what we see and NONE of what we hear. :)

i new to this thread. however i will start at the beginning and catch up. there is a gentleman named Wilford Kittle i am going to see him in march. Wilford is a rhode island red man . he is the man responsible for putting the reds back in Germany after the 2nd world war. Wilford is 96 and been breeding since 1945. i can not wait to here his history on the rhode island red.

Last edited:
Quote: LOL. So very true. I am used to having to spot b.s. in my line of work; I can usually do it by using simple logic and asking questions. I have seen people lie under oath. If I had not had a voice recording where the person had said the exact opposite, then I would have believed them because they were that convincing. Some people, I think, come to believe their own lies. It is always great to pull out the recording, everything changes at that point.

i new to this thread. however i will start at the beginning and catch up. there is a gentleman named Wilford Kittle i am going to see him in march. Wilford is a rhode island red man . he is the man responsible for putting the reds back in Germany after the 2nd world war. Wilford is 96 and been breeding since 1945. i can not wait to here his history on the rhode island red.

After you have had your visit with him, it would be nice to hear about. Maybe if he lets you take pictures, you could share them on here?

The recording sounds awesome, but it wouldn't work with chicken folks. Reason being you wouldn't know which lie to believe! LOL.
Come on now Saladin, we're not ALL that bad. Some of us try to be brutally honest.

LOL. So very true. I am used to having to spot b.s. in my line of work; I can usually do it by using simple logic and asking questions. I have seen people lie under oath. If I had not had a voice recording where the person had said the exact opposite, then I would have believed them because they were that convincing. Some people, I think, come to believe their own lies. It is always great to pull out the recording, everything changes at that point.

You must be a lawyer.
lau.gif
Still you are quite right that it is a technique that you make yourself believe your own lie. You compartmentalize the truth away in a "box" or "room". You convince yourself also that the person you are lying to doesn't deserve the truth for some reason and you construct a plausible "truth". Half-truths are the most effective especially those that get you in a little bit of trouble but not taking serious damage. They are easier to sell. They are also easier to talk your way out of as a misunderstanding of circumstances if it is about information.

Now before I scare anyone off of ever doing business with me, why do I know the details of how to do this? In 6th grade I had an abusive teacher in a private school. If she gave you a paddling she gave you 10 licks with a 4 inch wide board with holes drilled in it to reduce drag that she swung like a baseball bat and would lift you to the tips of your toes. I had problems with being bullied by a group of rich brats daily since 3rd grade. One of them always managed to tell me at least every other day that I was no good, ugly, I would never marry and have children. So I was having some mental issues with depression by 6th grade and was not performing well in class because I was having attention problems and memory problems.

Well midway through the year my teacher began to take my performance personally and decided that every time I forgot a homework assignment or didn't get a paper signed I was going to get whipped. I held tough for that first whipping and didn't cry out. But I quickly learned to forge my mothers name because I was not going to take one of those whippings when I had made a B on the paper and just forgot to get my mom to sign it. I learned to look her in the eye and lie to her without letting my pupils dilate. She was cruel and unfair she didn't deserve truth.

One day half of the class had missed the fact that she had assigned a page of math so she took it to be her fault of communication and those of us who didn't have it would stay in from recess to complete it. I am discalculate and therefore very slow at solving problems. I had to triple check my work before I got glasses which wasn't until 12th grade. Well everyone finished before me and the class clown started putting on a show that was very funny and distracting so i didn't get finished. Well she is ticked and when I explain that I couldn't concentrate because of the other students goofing around, she demands names. I started to give them and then checked. She was implying that this would get me out of dancing in the hall but she hadn't said that. Further I hated her more than I did my student enemies by now. If I gave her the names she will have won whether it got me out of a whipping or not. And it was highly likely that she would whip me anyway. So I refused. I cried that time.

I worked very hard not to get an invitation to the hall again but at last my luck ran out. I was crying before I reached the door. My bones felt like jelly. She had broken me.

Don't know why I needed to go into this right now but I did. Sometimes you can gain nefarious skills just for the sake of survival I guess. She never did understand me though. She could have totally decimated me if she had. Instead I had the pleasure of confounding her the next year in 7th grade by making A's and B's instead of he D I had made in her class.

Back
Top Bottom