Old and Rare Breeds

I'm curious about tendency to be fliers and confinement for those with experience with other Spanish and Catalan breeds.
I've only raised Minorcas and Black Penedesencas, but for the Penes, I can literally confine them inside a 2' high fence. The Minorcas tend not to be fliers either.
I expected my Catalanas to be more flyers than what they are. I had planned to make some management adjustments. I did not have to.

They have been quite respectful of fences. A three foot fence will hold them back. Obviously they are capable of more, so that is not a recommendation. They just do not have a tendency to fly.

I also expected them to be more nervous than what they are. Mine are very easy to handle.

Still they are very active, and alert. I am convinced that they are smarter than any other breed that I have owned.

I think these are the best general purpose farm birds that I have had.

Aviraut Facebook page just just linked our penedesenca website we have here.
this is a great step for us as it will show the world that we have these birds and a few of us really care about the breed.

Thanks to all your hard work Jason.
I expected my Catalanas to be more flyers than what they are. I had planned to make some management adjustments. I did not have to.

They have been quite respectful of fences. A three foot fence will hold them back. Obviously they are capable of more, so that is not a recommendation. They just do not have a tendency to fly.

I also expected them to be more nervous than what they are. Mine are very easy to handle.

Still they are very active, and alert. I am convinced that they are smarter than any other breed that I have owned.

I think these are the best general purpose farm birds that I have had.
Right. I don't recommend it either but most of my fences are 3 and 4 foot. The bachelor Penedesencas are in a 2' fence that I move around to give them different forage areas. With just a couple posts and curving other sections, it's quick to move and they don't even think about hopping over.
I appreciate your reply because it is very curious. I had a Blue Jersey Giant and Whites that could and would fly out of anything.
When pressured by predators the BPs will fly up to the top of buildings so they are capable. Without pressure they're just content. They don't let me pick them up but I can walk right up to roosters and mature hens are pretty calm. If a stranger comes onto the property, they return to ballistic insanity mode.
Guy what would your opinion be on a Spanish or Catalan club here? it may be one way to help get our rarer breeds recognized

or anemones opinion really.
I think these birds deserve it

I think it's a great idea, like the German Catalan breed site.

There are champions of individual breeds/varieties, like I am with Black Penedesencas.
There are champions of White Eared Black Spanish, Catalans, Minorcas, etc.
That could bolster efforts.

Hello all, I am just posting to subscribe; I'm interested in the South American pre-cursors of the "Ameraucana" & "Araucana" and their Pacific Islands relatives like "Rapanui" fowl. I'm also interested in what might be considered Ancient and older 'Modern' Breeds from northern Europe. Thanks

is this new? when the last import happened in 2004 this was not the case. I have not looked much into the rules yet but Jewelee Chaistan did the second import in 2003 and she incubated them at home. That is who I would be importing them with.

I was under the impression they had to be inspected by a Vet here and could only be flown into a few airports here in the U.S
and of course the flock in Spain would need to be inspected and have a clean bill of health as well. Aviraut has a Vet on hand and they have done this before. The first 2 importations went through them.
I have a good friend that works with the USDA who has been working on an import hatchery setup for 3 years now. 03-04 are a lifetime ago. AI changed everything.

I have a good friend that works with the USDA who has been working on an import hatchery setup for 3 years now. 03-04 are a lifetime ago. AI changed everything.
I was looking into this more yesterday and it looked like if the country was deemed free of Exotic Newcastles disease then they did not need to be. If so then they did. Spain was listed as free of it.
Like I said though I have not made it that far yet as too call on it. This was on there website. Would you be able to ask ? As I wonder why there website would say that if it was not the case.
I am thinking regardless the steps it would be worth exploring.

Stuff like that is full of pitfalls and roadblocks. If there is a will, there is a way. Might take time, or be exactly how you want it . . . but, it can be done.

Greenfire Farms makes money doing it regularly.

Back
Top Bottom