Old and Rare Breeds

Here some pictures.

Orloff Rooster -
The Orloff breed originally came from the Gilan province of northern Iran, where it was known as the Chilianskaia. Some were taken to Moscow and renamed by Count Orloff Techesmensky. From Russia they became known to British, Dutch and German poultry experts in the 1880s and 1890s, and an Orloff Club existed in Britain in the 1920s and 1930s. Orloff bantams have been known in Germany since 1925, but did not reach Britain until the 1970s. As this Standard indicates, Orloffs are mainly judged on type and character, especially of the head. Plumage colour is a secondary consideration.

33115_lunapic_129053972146564_3.jpg

Dominiques Hen -
This is perhaps the oldest of the distinctive American breeds, being mentioned in the earliest poultry books as an indigenous and valued variety, as an excellent layer, very hardy and good for the table.

33115_domhen01.jpg

½ Claret ½ Butcher American Game pullet
33115_dsc_0737.jpg

½ Claret ½ Butcher American Game pullet
33115_dsc_0738.jpg

Single Comb Rhode Island Red Rooster
33115_dsc_0906.jpg

Rose Comb Rhode Island Red Rooster
33115_copper-b-iii.jpg

Rose Comb Rhode Island Red Hen
33115_red_hen_-_iii.jpg

Chris

Last edited:
Quechua and other South American birds are the oldest American birds around.

Quote:
None of ours do, compared to western civilization, which is then newer than.... etc. We forget what a new country we are.

Unless one is native american, obviously.

Just to "pick nits"......

As a Country, according to OUR Constitution......All of us "born in this Country" are Native Americans.

---No argument intended---

There was no such term as "America" prior to 1500 AD or there-abouts.

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

Quote:
They're pretty nice, although they don't have a cruel enough expression for my likes and I'm not so sure on their weight/height. They're only 7 months old, but the stag is getting at 25 inches tall. They're the O-Shamo type, which should get pretty tall, but I'd think he will get bigger already.
idunno.gif

Otherwise, they have excellent personality/behavior, good color, and a very nice body. Still young though, so they still have a lot of filling out and growing to do.

I'd be very interested in some pointers to other breeders. I'm not ready right at this moment for more birds, but come spring/summer I'll be on the look.

5304178551_d2279d7374_z.jpg

5304772842_51c0e082bb_z.jpg

The pullet is getting more muscle on her by the day.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom