Old and Rare Breeds

Thought a name change was in order.
lol.png
cool.png

Maybe there should be 4 categories.

This would allow for the older bred birds to have distinction from relatively young breeds.

I think what a lot of Americans have trouble with, is that we don't have ancient history on every corner. We can't imagine that amount of time. Old to us is different than it is in other countries.

i haven't read throu all of the posts
hide.gif
im in nz & have got a breeding trio of dorkings ( 5 mths at this stage ) as they are quite rare over here & im in the process of getting some cochin eggs ( even rarer )
im hoping to have my breeding groups sorted for next season.

Quote:

I want to be a 70+ year old man with the gr gr gr gr gr gr gr gr gr gr gr gr gr grandchildren of my original stock, With little care to how much cash I made or lost to the breed. It may sound crazy but I lvoe my birds and so try and learn the best breeding techniques and keeping methods so that 50 years from now they look as good if not better than they are now.

I don't know you but you are a man after my own heart.

Maybe I am wrong, but it seems to me that that most of the lighter, Mediterranean, Hamburg, etc, types of breeds are not being kept or bred much? Or is that just my mistake? If you search on here, there are little to no threads or discussions of Spanish, Minorca, Catalana, Hamburgs, Redcaps, etc. I am starting be be afraid the white egg layers, except for leghorns, are falling fast out of fashion. Another breed I can hardly find anything about are LF Moderns. If I was ever going to add another breed, it would definetly be a lighter breed of some sort. It's kind of depressing there can be hundreds of pages written about some of the popular heavy breeds, and practically nothing about these old lighter breeds. Does anyone know who has good examples of these breeds? What are the flaws with the hatchery versions? Are they really so terrible to warrant so little attention? Also, my apologies for throwing the Moderns in here, I am aware they don't really "fit", except that they are seemingly not popular?

Quote:
I want to be a 70+ year old man with the gr gr gr gr gr gr gr gr gr gr gr gr gr grandchildren of my original stock, With little care to how much cash I made or lost to the breed. It may sound crazy but I lvoe my birds and so try and learn the best breeding techniques and keeping methods so that 50 years from now they look as good if not better than they are now.

I don't know you but you are a man after my own heart.

Thanks Dave! Idont know you either but ilike you already!
big_smile.png

Chuck,

Quick question for you, are you wanting 3 or 4 categories?
If you are going with 3 you could go with Ancient (Pre 1600), Pre-Modern (1600 - 1845) and Modern (1845 - 1940)
Now if you are going with 4 categories then you could go with Ancient (Pre 1600), Pre-Modern (1600 - 1845) Modern (1845 - 1940) and Post- Modern (1940 to present date)
To me Industrial would be more like the Industrial or Production Breeds like the Production Reds/ Blacks, Sex-Links and Hatchery type Leghorns.
Traditional makes me think of breeds that are more common on the Farm, Homestead and or in a Back Yard Flock and not a date of time.

This is just my thought on the listing.

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
i want to add a few lighter breeds to my flocks this year... i was really looking at the redcaps... i have Egyptian Fayoumis and love them... there is nothing like hearing a 5 week old rooster crowing in the brooder
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
and they are a really old breed to...

Back
Top Bottom