Old and Rare Breeds

Quote:
I'm planning on going. Do you know if the Show has a website up yet with information?

This is what I found:
http://web.mac.com/rbennett57/Crossroads_of_America/Crossroads_of_America.html

Watch your volume! There is a quite loud music track playing.

Someone responded to to my thread about the APA Dinner that weekend that might conflict with a BYC gathering, but I don't know which night. Does the SPPA have any type of meeting?

Yes, the SPPA usually meets right before or right after lunch one day. They reserve us a room for our meeting.

A good read from Willem on the Asil.

The "Asil" as a breed (or better type of bird) is maybe even more then 3000 years old. Clay seals with fowl silhouets resembling the Kulang Asil in type have been found in the city of Mohenjo-daro. It was one of the largest city-settlements in the Indus Valley Civilization which thrived in ancient times along the Indus River. Mohenjo-daro itself is located in the Larkana District in the modern-day province of Sindh, Pakistan and was build before 2600 BC. The city was one of the earliest urban settlements in the world. Also evidence of cockfighting has been found. Before the start of the Muslim conquests onwards the 8th century AC the birds we know as "Asil" today were known under their local Hindu names.

The name "Asil" is of Persian-Arabic origin. It was not known in Indian languages. This means also that the expression "Asil" being used in India technically cannot be older then the 8th century AC when Muslim forces from present Afghanistan conquered the regions Sindh and Multan (since 1947 Pakistani territory). The main Muslim conquests of northern and central Indian took place onwards the 12th century. The Muslim culture, traditions and language merged finally into the existing Hindu society. This took a great flight under the rule of Mughal ruler Akbar the Great (1543-1605).

During my research over the years I got more and more convinced that the Reza Asil must have been bred and selected from the existing large Kulang Asil through selection. Why was the Reza Asil developed ? Am not sure about it but I see great parallels with another very popular Muslim sport in Western Asia, the fighting with the small but very vicious partridges and quails. Maybe they tried to create a similar sport but then with small gamefowl, the Reza Asil. Who knows ?

I am open to any other theory.

Regards Willem

Hi all. I have been thinking about a few things recently in respect to heritage breeds and the definition of them. I wrote up a new thread because I don't really post here too much and didn't want to throw off your conversations. But I would like the opinions of some of you if you're interested.

As a breeder of all Standard bred, large fowl, heritage breeds, this definition is near to me and affects me in what I love to do most. Please take some time to look at the thread. I'm guessing it effects most of you, too.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=442234

Thanks!

so have any of you ever heard of a Red Dominique??? they where supposed to have been sold for a few years about 55 or 60 years ago as a meet type bird... they maby where a cross of a RIR and a Dominique... these where supposed to be kept from then tell now buy this older guy(name with held by request)... my friend has got a few of them right now that are 12 weeks old... here are some pic's... and some pic's of the parents...
please let me know what you think and if anyone has any more info or remembers them being sold back in the day... also any clue to there genetics???

42757_red_dominique_-_12_week_old_006.jpg

42757_red_dominique_-_12_week_old_003.jpg

42757_red_dominique_adults_025.jpg

42757_red_dominique_adults_022.jpg

42757_red_dominique_adults_017.jpg

42757_red_dominique_adults_015.jpg

42757_red_dominique_adults_007.jpg

42757_red_dominique_adults_006.jpg

Quote:
They don't seem to breed true, that's for sure.

Otherwise, no, never heard of them. They're quite colorful though.

Back
Top Bottom