Old and Rare Breeds

That is exactly what I am looking for to keep hatching eggs in as I collect them..I plan on putting a few turners in on the fridge shelves, and turn it all the way down so it is just the right temp.
It is difficult in Summer hot months or in deep freezing winter months, to keep the eggs at perfect temps before setting.
Gotta go look at the salvation army or such places...I have a freezer DH was trying to put a hasp on, and drilled right into a coil..POW!
No more freezer..so I have a new freezer now.
But was thinking of making the old one into a brooder..hmm?
It is one of those small cube type chest freezers.
Well, later~~
frow.gif

Quote:
look at your local recycling center... it actually costs them money to recycle a fridge so tell them what u want it for and they might give u one... mine will let me have all i want...

Quote:
Yes, and it is preferred they have a roost at about 2 feet, maybe 3 feet. Especially with younger birds, a perch too high can injure them. Their long legs shouldn't receive such shock when they land, especially while they're still growing. They could hurt themselves, or worse, break a leg. Broad roosts are also a big thing to keep in mind. I myself actually let my Shamos sleep on the table already in their coop (came with the "coop") as they prefer it over a perch I gave them. It's about 3 feet high, but so far hasn't given them any troubles. When I have younger birds around, I'll offer a lower place so they can either step down or sleep on the lower area.

I have a shelf for my regular chickens in their coop. I like it and they seem to for the winter. I just give the poop a quick scrape each morning. In the summer they don't bunch up as muchand a regular 4 inch roost works well.

I want to try to find some O shamo's early this summer but I would like to have a place ready for them in advance. I have to worry about heat and humidity here in North Florida more than the cold. Is there anything else in particular I need to know to do differently for them? What about nest boxes. I am not wanting particulary to have any babies but I know they lay eggs...and they are so tall.
sharon

Quote:
Yes, and it is preferred they have a roost at about 2 feet, maybe 3 feet. Especially with younger birds, a perch too high can injure them. Their long legs shouldn't receive such shock when they land, especially while they're still growing. They could hurt themselves, or worse, break a leg. Broad roosts are also a big thing to keep in mind. I myself actually let my Shamos sleep on the table already in their coop (came with the "coop") as they prefer it over a perch I gave them. It's about 3 feet high, but so far hasn't given them any troubles. When I have younger birds around, I'll offer a lower place so they can either step down or sleep on the lower area.

I have pondered the delicate leg issue myself as the thighs seem so extended to maintain the upright stance. Do they not fly at least a little to soften landing?

I have the poop shelfs under all roosts in all coops, and added a short 1 x 2 edge, and dump a sprinkle of DE & sand on the shelf, so the poop does not stick, and I can scoop it with a cat pan spoon evey other day, in 5 big coops, it takes me minutes to clean.
I had the roosts too high when I made the first coop, and had 2 cases of bumble foot before I lowered the roosts down.
I hate treating bumblefoot.
Here is the only photo I can find to show the poop trays..man what a time saver!
The coop floor needs to be clean about 2 X a year with this set up!
50801_poetry_house_and_big_coop_007.jpg

Usually there is no dog crate of babies in the coop so birds can fly up and jump down..

Last edited:
Quote:

I was wondering how large their wings are Illia..can they fly at all ?
Or are they more 'jumpers' ?

Back
Top Bottom