Old and Rare Breeds

The Crossroads of America Show in Indianapolis October 28-30, 2011 will be a great place to acquire good stock of some very old and rare breeds. I thought it might be of help to folks to list some of the breeds you are taking and would possibly have for sale.

I'll have an space in the sales area with:

Asil
Bantam Asil
Cubalaya
Muscovy

If you are attending the show give us a sample of what you'll have.

Quote:
Instead of getting a trio of chocolate Muscovy, can I just get two hens? We have two nice big boys that want more company and no competition. We will be hanging out at the Exhibition Turkey Fanciers table most of the show.

Quote:
Instead of getting a trio of chocolate Muscovy, can I just get two hens? We have two nice big boys that want more company and no competition. We will be hanging out at the Exhibition Turkey Fanciers table most of the show.

What will you be showing Jim?

Great thread, Saladin! Glad to see some effort to preserve our ancient poultry heritage. It's truly needed. Say, would Kraienkoppes be included in the old breeds? They were first developed in the mid to late 1800s and were crossed with Leghorns in the early 1900s, producing the modern Kraienkoppe of today. Do you know breeders of the Kraienkoppe here in the states?

Yes, the Krainekoppe would be considered both old and rare. Yes, I know one major breeder from the past who could put you in touch with others or might have extra stock himself.

Quote:
Thanks! Does he have a website link that you could give me? What state is he in? I'm really trying to shoot for something here in the South near NC so I don't have to pay a lot for shipping, or so I can just meet someone at an agreed location to pick up the birds.

Quote:
By the way, Gallorojo suggested that I try IDEAL Poultry's or Sandhill's Kraienkoppes. He said that they were not perfect, but that since the Kraienkoppe is so rare, these two hatcheries' lines might be pure and worth working with. Does this sound reasonable? Would appreciate your opinion.
smile.png

A website? The man doesn't even have a cellphone nevertheless a computer! lol.

One of the things you will find out is that many of the oldest and best breeders in the States aren't on the web at all. Really unfortunate because it allows for so many web-personalities to dominate the field as if they are the experts when they've kept chickens for 3 or 4 years and have a flock of 25. Or to think they are breeders after throwing together 2 chickens they got from G-d only knows where.

Quote:
By the way, Gallorojo suggested that I try IDEAL Poultry's or Sandhill's Kraienkoppes. He said that they were not perfect, but that since the Kraienkoppe is so rare, these two hatcheries' lines might be pure and worth working with. Does this sound reasonable? Would appreciate your opinion.
smile.png

Sand Hills will be. Ideal probably got their original ones from Glenn but how they've bred them since I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom