Old APA Standards

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Laingcroft, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Laingcroft

Laingcroft Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    Just found a 1989 APA Standards book and was wondering how much has changed in the basic/general DQs? Aside from adding new color varieties, how much has changed in basic breed type descriptions for Wyandottes, Leghorns, Langshans, Silkies, Ameraucana, Houdans, or Hamburgs since then?

2. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    I think you will find very few changes in the first 40 pages.

3. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    However, it's not a bad thing to purchase an up to date SOP from the APA. If you don't have one, they're well worth having.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    At some point in the past, horns were preferred, on maybe even required on silkie combs. They are now considered a defect. Not sure how long ago the change was made, but it is likely that the 1989 version you have lists them as preferred/required.

5. Laingcroft

Nov 22, 2011
    Yes, I was planning to get one at some point, but I found this one at a book sale for $3.00 and couldn't beat that. I'm using the SOP for breeding purposes, not showing. I just don't have enough time to work full time, run farm, attend Farmers Markets and travel to chicken shows too though I would like to attend at least one (aside from State Fair) to see what it's all about.

I just like finding/collecting historic references, including farm related magazines and small tools/gizmos from the first half of 20th century or earlier.

6. Laingcroft

Nov 22, 2011
    I would love to find that standard! Alas, the one in the 1989 is pretty much the same as current, "comb moderately small, somewhat lumpy, almost round but inclined to be greater in width than length, covered with small corrugations and crossed by a narrow transverse indentation..."

7. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Collecting old Standards is great fun, when I can afford it I like to buy the really old ones on eBay. The old photos are especially great to have. But they cost $$ and are hard to justify at times. I have a couple though (downstairs, not sure which years) and am glad I got them over the years.

8. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    There actually have been changes to some breeds. I'm not familiar with much of the history, but do know they dropped the weight of the Chantecler by a pound, and changed the desired tail angle. I'm sure this has occurred with other breeds as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by