Old Building/Renovating to Coop- Updated

glenann

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 25, 2012
Ohio
I got bit by the chicken bug, so on April 23rd I got my first chicks- 8 Sultans. We have an old outbuilding used by previous owners for turkeys many years ago. A solid building but in disrepair and full of junk.

We started by cleaning everything out of the building.

Here's the exterior as we started our project:

The Sultans love being outside, so they have a temporary enclosure to enjoy watching our progress.....well guarded by our Shih Tzu, Bosley :)

The interior cleaned out, but needing some work:

First steps: insulation and OSB on the walls and floor. There were already 3 small windows on the one wall that open and shut from the outside and latch out there. Pulled the old chicken wire off those and covered with hardware cloth.

The building is 12 x 14, so we divided it into the chicken area and a storage/work area. We also put linoleum over the OSB for easier cleaning:

A half wall was added where the nesting boxes will be attached:

In the midst of it all, my 12 Polish chicks were picked up on May 29th :)

Back to the coop.....from inside the chicken area:

2 vents replaced 2 of the upper windows on one side:

Looking in from where the entry door goes:

A little decor :)

A little reminder for those who may visit my Sultan and Polish chickens :)

Today we are finishing the front door, doing some caulking and filling any gaps, mounting the ceiling vent, and building the roosts. We will be putting in an automatic chicken door (we have run power) and exterior motion detector lighting and interior lights. The run is being built out the back of the coop. More update photos of our progress to follow :)

Last edited:
They do grow very fast!
smile.png

We plan to have the Sultans in the coop this weekend.

If I could get ahold a old building that is what I would want. I love the rustic look and the windows
yippiechickie.gif
LOVE!

What a lovely building to start with and you're doing a great job! Bosley is quite cute, too. Can't wait to see the progress.

Thanks so much for all the nice comments!
big_smile.png

We made a lot of progress today. The front door is on. The power is all run. The roof vent is in and all the tree limbs near the coop were cut back and everything cleared out for beginning the run.

Nesting boxes, more roosts, the run, painting, new steps for the entry.....and plants around the outside are on the remaining to do list, but it's definitely coming along. Major kudos and smooches to my sweetie who has done so much in sweltering heat and major downpours
love.gif

Roof vent:

New insulated storm door:

We have lights
wee.gif

The sultans checking out the new digs
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom