Old chicken owner, new member.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Gosy White Wings, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Gosy White Wings

Gosy White Wings In the Brooder

Jun 6, 2019
    Hi all, I'm a fairly new adult who's owned chickens since I was very young. We ordered a lot of chicks, a few ducklings, a couple of goslings, and that was that. My family has owned them ever since. (We may have had some before I was born, but pshhhh that doesn't matter.)
    Over the years, our stock has increased and decreased, and right now we're at an intentional all-time low of three chickens. One rooster, two hens. (But plenty of ducks. And two geese.)
    I only know the breed of one hen, an araucana. The other hen is a hefty cuckoo-patterned lady, and the rooster is a mixed breed with iridescent black plumage with a few red streaks.

I've always loved the friendly and clever hens. The ones who come right up to you and ask for food, or who can find their way up into the rafters for extra safety. (And to look down upon the peasants below them.)
    I also love art, all sorts. Give me a medium and I'll have a fairly good time. I enjoy water, whether in a pool, pond, lake, or ocean. I love it all. And I guess that's good, because we have five ducks and two geese. (I want to take them to a pond sometime. We only have kiddie pools.)
    All our foul reside at the house I grew up in, and the rest of the family and pets are scattered around the state. (But most pets are in the house, including a dog, three cats, two guinea pigs, and eight parakeets. But that may change.) I personally have two parakeets that are my pride and joy. After all, I hand-raised them.

I remember BYC a lot from my childhood. My mom would look here for tips and stories, so when I run into trouble with the poultry, I know where to turn. And I guess I decided it was time to finally join!
    So here's my introduction, it's nice to be here!

ronott1, Shadrach, fldiver97 and 13 others like this.
  2. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    Great introduction! Care to share any pictures of your small flock?

Miks, ronott1, Shadrach and 11 others like this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens. I really enjoyed your introduction.

ronott1, Shadrach, fldiver97 and 8 others like this.
  4. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

Hello, and welcome! Glad that you joined! Only 2 hen's and a rooster now? Time to get more! :D Good luck!

ronott1, Shadrach, fldiver97 and 10 others like this.
  5. Sequel

Sequel Crowing

Hey! Hi! :frow So glad you joined, I'm down to 3 chickens too but plan on getting some pullets soon! :wee

ronott1, Shadrach, fldiver97 and 10 others like this.
  6. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here.

This is a useful link of “How to” BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3. I’d suggest including your location using the guide in the link above. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Sequel, Miks, ronott1 and 10 others like this.
  7. Miks

Miks Chirping

Jun 1, 2019
    Hi there! :frow I’m new too! Everyone here is so friendly and helpful! You will enjoy seeing their response to your threads.

I really enjoyed your informative introduction. I failed to do that and jumped right in asking questions. Several people responded back with assistance and I’m so grateful!

I would like to see some pictures too! Thanks again for sharing!

Sequel, ronott1, Shadrach and 10 others like this.
  8. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Happy :ya to have you here with us. Enjoy your time here at BYC!

Thanks for joining our community! :celebrate

9. ClucksAndCombs

ClucksAndCombs Free Ranging

Apr 19, 2018
    New England
    Welcome to BYC!:frow

Feel free to ask questions, there are so many wonderful and knowledgeable people who will answer them :)

Good luck with your flock!

10. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Welcome to our FUN-omenal community! :celebrate Best wishes and have lots of FUN! :wee

Sequel, drumstick diva, Miks and 9 others like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: