Old chickens or stressed chickens?

Vezzna

Hatching
Aug 26, 2020
We inherited 4 chickens from our landlord last November. He claimed they were about 3y.o. We were never told what type but it looks like we started with 2 Rhode Island reds, possibly a Dominique and a Crevecoeur (except the others have pecked her head bald, prior to us receiving her). One of the red ladies died a strange death, sat down and stopped moving, we tried everything we Googled to help her but she was dead within the day. The other 3 are still doing fine (so it seems).

SO my actual question is, they have barely laid since we’ve had them this last year. At first we thought it was because it was fall/winter, but this spring and summer almost nothing! We are pretty certain we know which one is still laying but she’s only lays about 2-3/wk.

Is it possible that they are highly stressed d/t new owners even after a year? we also have a dog but she basically ignores them, and they did see/hear two of our ducks get eaten by a raccoon in the middle of the day that but was back in January. They have a small run and I’ve recently let them wander during the day, no change. We haven’t changed their feed but we did add in meal worms, still nothing.

any experiences, thoughts, ideas that could help?? appreciate all suggestions!

Knowing the breed would be very helpful; for example high production chickens such as ISA browns typically only have a lay period / life span of 3 to 5 years bc laying copious amounts of eggs takes a toll on their bodies. Can you post some pics?
I would check them for worms also.

Good thought, thank you for suggesting! Here are the 3 ladies..

Attachments

• 2D9D9022-11AC-4EAB-9C67-06F95F6FDBEF.jpeg
    2D9D9022-11AC-4EAB-9C67-06F95F6FDBEF.jpeg
    540 KB · Views: 7
  • A54820E5-8F39-419D-95B7-705CDDCF5766.jpeg
    A54820E5-8F39-419D-95B7-705CDDCF5766.jpeg
    776.9 KB · Views: 7
  • DFD5BEB6-C021-4C0F-A9E7-64322C68DD39.jpeg
    DFD5BEB6-C021-4C0F-A9E7-64322C68DD39.jpeg
    675.3 KB · Views: 7
They do look like older hens to me. I’ve got old hens that lay fantastic but they need a little more pampering and patience than hens in their prime. Those small ailments that don’t seem to affect egg laying in younger hens will shut down the older girls.

They do look like older hens to me. I’ve got old hens that lay fantastic but they need a little more pampering and patience than hens in their prime. Those small ailments that don’t seem to affect egg laying in younger hens will shut down the older girls.
Thank you! I have always wondered how old they really were. We will continue to pamper!

Back
Top Bottom