Old enough to go without a light?

HomeTweetHome1

In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2019
Mobile, AL
image.jpg
This guy has been fighting with another one of my male chicks. I separated them after realizing he drew blood. I don’t have an extra light for him but I put a heating pad over some wire shelving and created a sort of brooder thing that he can go under to stay warm. He’s very distressed without his friends but I’m so worried that he’ll hurt the other babies. Should I get a pullet his size so he isn’t so lonely and stressed? I was also thinking I could put the duckling in there because he doesn’t seem to pay him much attention, although it might keep him company.

View attachment 1911277
This guy has been fighting with another one of my male chicks. I separated them after realizing he drew blood. I don’t have an extra light for him but I put a heating pad over some wire shelving and created a sort of brooder thing that he can go under to stay warm. He’s very distressed without his friends but I’m so worried that he’ll hurt the other babies. Should I get a pullet his size so he isn’t so lonely and stressed? I was also thinking I could put the duckling in there because he doesn’t seem to pay him much attention, although it might keep him company.
Chicks don't actually need the light except during daylight hours. We always think they do b/c we use brooder lamps..as long as he is warm he will do fine.
As for loneliness, keeping the fighting boys apart is good, but if you are wanting to give him some company, make sure it is at least two other birds otherwise he is going to pick on just one.
You could try the duckling as long as it's bigger than your boy, but keep a close eye on them just in case he starts in with the duck.
Good luck:thumbsup

Chicks don't actually need the light except during daylight hours. We always think they do b/c we use brooder lamps..as long as he is warm he will do fine.
As for loneliness, keeping the fighting boys apart is good, but if you are wanting to give him some company, make sure it is at least two other birds otherwise he is going to pick on just one.
You could try the duckling as long as it's bigger than your boy, but keep a close eye on them just in case he starts in with the duck.
Good luck:thumbsup

I put the big guy in my outdoor brooder, just for the day atleast. I’m gonna try and get a pullet about his size— I bought him in a pair, male and female. The female was killed by one of the neighbors catsAnyways, I’m going to stop by my across-town-farmer-neighbor guy and see if he has any pullets. I’ll get him one or two— I planned on keeping him to breed with some of my older (not full grown) hens, as well as some of the chicks I have in the other brooder. He’s okay outside, he hears the girls and I think it brings him some ease. I hate that I’ve moved him around so much in one day, I know it stressed him out. Anyways, thank y’all. I think I figured it out.

Same answer to every problem:
Get more chickens!‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom