Old Family Recipe, Help Me Out Please, I Can't Read It.

Same here.
Hopefully someone younger and/or with more offspring can answer it.
When the government shoved Common Core standards down our throats by forcing teachers to teach "their" way. It ignored developmental appropriateness (teaching kindergarten sphere, prism, cone before they knew rectangle, circle, etc) and deleted important things like cursive. Depending on when a state "adopted it". (Meaning state sold out for more money by accepting this set of standards that almost all teachers hate, along with no longer being trusted to know how to do our jobs. It truly dictated, how to teach, what and in what order to teach, and how long to spend on each concept, even if the children didn't 'get' it.)
So, after all that griping, about 2010. This year, in NC at least, it has been reintroduced.

@R2elk bless your heart for typing that all out.
When did they stop teaching cursive in the schools?
They were teaching cursive in school in 1st grade for a month but I had speech problems (I was missing my two front teeth, painful story) and didn't know my q's from my p's and my b's from my d's, so the teachers stole my valuable teaching time from learning it and after two years, all of my grade forgot how to write in cursive, and they still haven't taught us it.

Last edited by a moderator:
When the government shoved Common Core standards down our throats by forcing teachers to teach "their" way. It ignored developmental appropriateness (teaching kindergarten sphere, prism, cone before they knew rectangle, circle, etc) and deleted important things like cursive. Depending on when a state "adopted it". (Meaning state sold out for more money by accepting this set of standards that almost all teachers hate, along with no longer being trusted to know how to do our jobs. It truly dictated, how to teach, what and in what order to teach, and how long to spend on each concept, even if the children didn't 'get' it.)
So, after all that griping, about 2010. This year, in NC at least, it has been reintroduced.
I know. My class once went to a pre-K class and they were learning multiplication! Pre-K! I started to learn multiplication in third grade!

They were teaching cursive in school in 1st grade for a month but I had speech problems (I was missing my two front teeth, painful story) and didn't know my q's from my p's and my b's from my d's, so the teachers stole my valuable teaching time from learning it and after two years, all of my grade forgot how to write in cursive, and they still haven't taught us it.
They won't introduce it to you at your age. Teachers are no longer allowed to teach what kids need, no matter when they need it. They (government) want students to be robots and all know the same stuff at the same time.
There are some really great, free tutorials on line. If you look at neatly written cursive, it is usually very easy to pick out words that you can read. Think about regular letters with lines connecting them. The hardest one is lower case r.

Back
Top Bottom