Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

So... I could really use some help/advice from those who have hatched BCM eggs before. We have 13 eggs. We candled them all today, which, from previous candling, we're guessing is day 20 or 21. The eggs are solid black. They're virtually un-see-throu-able, except for the air sac. They all still have an air sac. We saw movement on at least 4 eggs, but it is DARN HARD to see ANYthing going on in there. I tried rotating the eggs gently, all the way around, while looking at the air sac. We saw some movement, and also in at least one egg, some what looked like possibly some liquid? A very small amount of liquid that seemed to be following around the edge of the air sac. Does that make any sense?? Anyone care to hazard a guess on how long we should wait to check on a sample egg? I don't want to just leave them there indefinitely... I'm concerned that some of them are non-viable and that they might explode.... Advice?

So... I could really use some help/advice from those who have hatched BCM eggs before. We have 13 eggs. We candled them all today, which, from previous candling, we're guessing is day 20 or 21. The eggs are solid black. They're virtually un-see-throu-able, except for the air sac. They all still have an air sac. We saw movement on at least 4 eggs, but it is DARN HARD to see ANYthing going on in there. I tried rotating the eggs gently, all the way around, while looking at the air sac. We saw some movement, and also in at least one egg, some what looked like possibly some liquid? A very small amount of liquid that seemed to be following around the edge of the air sac. Does that make any sense?? Anyone care to hazard a guess on how long we should wait to check on a sample egg? I don't want to just leave them there indefinitely... I'm concerned that some of them are non-viable and that they might explode.... Advice?
Well, first, I wasn't sure what you were referring to when you said BCM, perhaps some sort of quail, pheasant, chukkar...etc. Anyway, after figuring out that you probably meant Black Copper Marans, I finally feel like I can answer your question since they are chickens and most chickens hatch almost exactly the same. Depending on how you counted, the chicks are probably not yet due. The day you put them under your hen or in the incubator is day 0. Count up from that. If they are in an incubator, it is not unusual for them to hatch a little late. Day 21 is the due date, chicks can be as many a 3 or 4 days late or even may come a day or two early.

What you saw when you candled is the usual position for day 20 or 21. The chick is now too large to be able to move much in the egg. First, they will pip a hole in the egg and then wait 4-24 hours to hatch while they absorb the egg yolk. After the egg yolk is absorbed, they will zip a line around the shell and then pop out. The whole hatching process from start to finish can last anywhere from 4 hours to 36 hours, although usually after about 24 hours they are probably not going to make it (but I've been wrong).

It is very, very, VERY important to leave the eggs alone while they are at this stage. Turning them the wrong way and even mild and gentle handling can position the chick so that it can't get out of the shell. This is why the broody seems to be frozen during this period, she instinctively knows that moving around on the eggs can cause a problem (and sometimes it doesn't, but no sense taking needless chances). So, sit back, relax and pretty soon you should be hearing little cheeps as they are trying to make their way into the world.

bumpercarr you just answered most of my concerns.it's day 21 for tilly.i checked at 5:30am and no little ones yet.good thing i have to work today i'll leave her in peace.when you answer one person you help many others,so thank you.

bumpercarr you just answered most of my concerns.it's day 21 for tilly.i checked at 5:30am and no little ones yet.good thing i have to work today i'll leave her in peace.when you answer one person you help many others,so thank you.
You're welcome. I know chicken patience is very difficult, but keep up the good work. Hopefully by tonight you'll come home and hear some peeping from under her!

I have left them entirely alone since we candled. I am anxious, but since it was an accidental brood, I won't be devastated if we get nothing from it. BUT if we get a few chicks I'll be excited! At least 3-4 of them had movement that we could see... so we'll just wait. I would have taken out 3 or 4 of them, at the beginning, but we didn't find them till they were at least 8-10 days along, so we left them all. Plus I didn't know that 13 eggs was a lot for a first time broody hen, or any hen. Now that i have learned a couple things, if she goes broody again, we'll manage it early, limit it to 8 eggs probably, and put her in a secure location right away, instead of dealing with the awkward arrangement we have now. I'll post back if/when we get new chicks! Thanks to all, I'm learning buckets and I so appreciate it!

"Look mam, I'm just as big as you now!"
1545777_10201167193021576_4386918220757399498_n.jpg

I noticed one of the WL eggs under my partridge silky has a hole in it. I'm leaving it alone for now, but since we are only on day 13 I'm certain the hole was made externally rather than from internal source. :/

Back
Top Bottom