Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

My broodies chicks are getting so big now ( they are only 4 days old but still........that's old....isn't it?????)I love her and her chicks solo much!!!!!
They sure are cuties! And your little broody is a adorable puff ball.
smile.png

My broody had chicks hatch on Tuesday and Wednesday. Sadly they died last night. They were acting fine yesterday evening, but found them dead this morning. Mama hopped out of the nest when I fed the rest of the flock this morning and I found their bodies. Don't know if she accidentally crushed them or if they were overheated. There is still one more egg in the nest & she's still sitting on it. Today is day 23. At what point do I give up on the other one hatching? Will she stop being broody or will I have to break her? Such a sad day.
So sorry about your chicks! I've heard of hens crushing some of their chicks from time to time, but for all to be crushed at once... I'm thinking something else might have happened.
I would tap your remaining egg and listen for any sound. It might be that there is a little chick there that's a late hatch. My last one hatched on day 25 for some reason. It must have been day 21 for the chick because of a late start, even though all eggs were laid and set on the same day. Go figure!
I almost discarded the egg and ended up having to do an assisted hatch, but the chick is doing well now. It is sure not the norm, but it can happen.
Now, if for some reason you decide to crack that egg to check on it, do it very carefully and just a little, and don't crack it below the air cell. You might see that the chick is still alive or the smell of an egg that went bad.
Best of luck to you on your next hatch!

My broodies chicks are getting so big now ( they are only 4 days old but still........that's old....isn't it?????)I love her and her chicks solo much!!!!!

They are so adorable!! What breed are they? Momma must be a sweetheart to allow you to have all handled in the house. Mine let's me pet her and touch the chicks. It's the chicks who freak out
gig.gif

So sorry about your chicks! I've heard of hens crushing some of their chicks from time to time, but for all to be crushed at once... I'm thinking something else might have happened.
I would tap your remaining egg and listen for any sound. It might be that there is a little chick there that's a late hatch. My last one hatched on day 25 for some reason. It must have been day 21 for the chick because of a late start, even though all eggs were laid and set on the same day. Go figure!
I almost discarded the egg and ended up having to do an assisted hatch, but the chick is doing well now. It is sure not the norm, but it can happen.
Now, if for some reason you decide to crack that egg to check on it, do it very carefully and just a little, and don't crack it below the air cell. You might see that the chick is still alive or the smell of an egg that went bad.
Best of luck to you on your next hatch!

Thank you!
She only had 4 eggs, and I only saw 2 live chicks. I think the 3rd may have died during hatching based on how it looked. I hope for her sake the remaining egg hatches. Poor girl!

hi guys.my tilly is on day 18. doin fine.my question is when should i put out starter feed?and should i moisten it?

I switch the hen to chick starter when I give her the eggs... broody hens don't need layer feed since they aren't producing eggs while broody and raising chicks and the higher protein when they are stressed with the brooding process is a benefit.
So you can put out the chick starter at any time.... I prefer dry for at least the first few days because it is more convenient for my coop and methods, doing moist or fermented feed is a personal choice which should be based on research and personal preferences.

Back
Top Bottom