Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I went to the Broody Coop this morning to feed my broody 'gals when all of a sudden I heard a faint growl. I searched for the source of the growl and quickly found out it was coming from under the old rabbit hutch! When I checked who it was I noticed that it was Sparkle, a hen that has only been laying for 2 weeks.
So do you guys think she will be fine at going broody at such a young age???

Hens can go broody before even laying! She'll be fine :)

Hens can go broody before even laying! She'll be fine
smile.png
Thanx!
It is the first time this has happened to me so I was just worrying about her
smile.png

My little Welsh Harlequin duck just went broody, and since I didn't have any fertile eggs and I didn't want to break her up, I had to go hunt some eggs down. All I could find on such short notice are chicken, but that's ok. They are due to hatch the 22nd.
smile.png

Whenever you have waterfowl brooding landfowl, be very careful that she can't get to any water other than baby chick waterers until the chicks are weaned. She will go into the water, call the chicks in, and they will follow their mother and drown.

Whenever you have waterfowl brooding landfowl, be very careful that she can't get to any water other than baby chick waterers until the chicks are weaned. She will go into the water, call the chicks in, and they will follow their mother and drown.

I know. She's brooded chicks before.
smile.png

The funny thing with her is that she's pretty much a landlubber. Unless she's breeding, she doesn't go in the water. But just to be on the safe side, I always keep her penned away from the water until she's finished brooding when she's hatched out chicks.

Oh good. It sounds like you've got a system already in place for her. I've just heard some tragic stories, so always like to pass on that information whenever someone uses ducks or geese as broodies.

Actually, I'm very glad you brought the issue up. I've done things like this for so long that sometimes I just forget there are those who are just starting out who wouldn't automatically know what to do or what not to do. So thank you!
smile.png

It has always been a problem for me too that the chain link is big enough (of course, not everywhere) for them to get out, but then they can't seem to get back in which leaves them open to predators. One of the things that I've done is buy the fairly cheap plastic garden fence with the 1 in holes and put it put at the bottom of the chain link. It helps keep the chicks in, although if you miss one itty bitty spot, they'll find it.
big_smile.png

I leave mine out for the whole day. Once they go into the run (I'm not free ranging right now, too many losses this year) they stay there from then on with the rest of the flock. I check them at about dusk to make sure that they made it into the coop for the night (I have automatic doors), usually they just follow everyone else in but sometimes I have to put them in there for the first night or two. Of course, they really don't want me to catch them, but it is a lot easier when it is close to bedtime to catch them as they usually huddle right next to the door....I guess they're afraid to go in with the big ones who sometimes give them a hard time. I have a lot of room in my coop, so there is always somewhere that they can go to be safe from the big monsters. I've also made a small wood box with an opening in it. They can run into that and sleep if they really feel threatened, although they usually only do that the first night. Keep in mind, mine don't have a broody to sleep under....yours will provided she hasn't weaned them yet. I think that is why it is important to get them with the rest while they still have momma for night time security and warmth.
Thanks for the advice! Today it rained a lot and tomorrow is supposed to be rainy as well. I'll try having them all together when the grass is a little dryer. I went ahead and got the plastic fence to cover some places they are likely to go through, but I have 1+acres of chain link fence, so I don't think I'll be able to cover everywhere.
I had a crazy idea today: my other hen that went broody is second in the pecking order. She seems pretty determined. I have the chick from the assisted hatch and his buddy in my basement. I was wondering if I could place these chicks under that broody at night. Would she accept them? They are 2 1/2 weeks old and had never seen a grown chicken before. I'm wondering if they are going to freak out or instinct is going to take over and they will stay under the broody, in case she accepts them.

Quote:
Chicks usually imprint on their hen or caretakers when they're 2-4 days old, so at 2 1/2 weeks old the chicks will likely look at this giant hen and think she's going to kill them. They also won't know to go to the feathers for warmth, and will look for a heat lamp when they get chilled. They also won't have been trained to listen to her, and may not be willing to follow her directions as she tries to teach them things. There are exceptions to every general rule, of course, but the odds are t hat the hen won't accept older chicks, and the older chicks won't accept the hen.

Back
Top Bottom