Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I had a hatchery red girl brood and raise 2 different clutches. First time she was 8 mos old.

Kept those kids until they were 13 weeks old!!!! It was quite hilarious seeing those huge juveniles still trying to squeeze under their mamma.

You can simply move her back to the original nest or if her alternative nest is safe you can move the eggs under her where she sits. Either will work. Make sure you pull any eggs out from under her which were laid today, only give her the ones she has already sat on for the 2 weeks.
Thanks you!! I did that last night :)

If you have other girls laying in the boxes they probably ran her off so they could lay, or she returned to a different nest of eggs after having gotten up to eat/drink/poo. It's not uncommon and the reason many people put their broodies in cages or section them off from others. I used to section off, but now I just move my broody back to her rightful nest and she settles back down. Try putting her back on her eggs.

I'm not sure what the specks are, but if they move around its possible they are mites. More likely they could be specks of dirt from her having gotten out, dust bathed and brought back dirt on her body. My girls do that and it's annoying but necessary to keep them healthy/clean.

Awesome! Thanks!!!!! I was thinking of separating her from the rest of the hens this week, would that be a good idea or will it stress her out?
Depending on how light the shell color and how bright your flashlight - you could candle them at night. I did that last night and found 6 of my WL eggs did in fact have growth.
Awesome!! thanks :D I'll do that tonight!! :)

Thanks you!! I did that last night :)

Awesome! Thanks!!!!! I was thinking of separating her from the rest of the hens this week, would that be a good idea or will it stress her out?
Awesome!! thanks :D I'll do that tonight!! :)

Whenever I've separated my girls I've had the most success by doing it at dusk keeping as low of light as is possible. When I've tried the same during the daylight hours I was only successful one time, and I'm convinced it was a fluke.

I first create the new area earlier in the day, I put a little of the old bedding in there so it has her scent, move the eggs over after having gently retrieved them from her, then I cover her head with a little towel so it's dark for her, move her over covered and uncover her once she's on the new nest. She will generally settle right back down on the eggs.

But that said, I don't separate anymore. Even my tiniest silky girls have managed to raise their babies without trouble from the big girls. Usually the babies stay very close to momma and momma is good about teaching them whom to avoid.

Had to get creative for the upcoming hatch next week and baby chick delivery week after. My nest boxes are all roll out. I put a wooden board behind them so that the eggs wouldn't roll out while my girls were first trying to hatch their eggs, but I could see that it wasn't the best solution and it would be a problem once any chicks arrive. So my solution was to put straw in there so they would have a little nest. Unfortunately I ran out of dry straw so I bought some Timothy Hay at the store and used that instead. The broodies seem happy with the hay and I'm happy that there won't be any escapees or smooshed eggs/chicks due to weird roll out angles.

Day 18, I lured my broody away from the nest with mealworms and candled her 5 eggs. They all looked totally full, I couldn't even make out air cells on some of them, which concerned me, but that might be due to the dark shells.

One had a small hole in the shell that I could swear looked like it came from the inside but its way too early right? I was so spooked I gave it a quick sniff (smelled fine) and put it back under her. Was that the right thing to do? Should I check on it tomorrow?

Day 18, I lured my broody away from the nest with mealworms and candled her 5 eggs. They all looked totally full, I couldn't even make out air cells on some of them, which concerned me, but that might be due to the dark shells.

One had a small hole in the shell that I could swear looked like it came from the inside but its way too early right? I was so spooked I gave it a quick sniff (smelled fine) and put it back under her. Was that the right thing to do? Should I check on it tomorrow?
I wouldn't bother them again... though it is early it is a possibility it is pipping, though it is also very possible the broody accidently punctured it with a toenail recently while shuffling eggs or getting into or out of the nest. If the broody is out on her own tomorrow you can certainly check, but be very, very careful to put it back in the same position you found it and don't roll it around any more than absolutely needed to see the area of the hole. If it is a pip it should be different tomorrow, if it is a puncture it will be the same. I have never attempted any egg shell 'repairs' but I believe some folks have been able to cover small holes in the hopes that it would reduce infection chances till hatch. You may want to read through the 'hatching 101' article to see if it addresses it in there. I'm sorry I don't have the first hand experience to offer further advice.

I wouldn't bother them again... though it is early it is a possibility it is pipping, though it is also very possible the broody accidently punctured it with a toenail recently while shuffling eggs or getting into or out of the nest.  If the broody is out on her own tomorrow you can certainly check, but be very, very careful to put it back in the same position you found it and don't roll it around any more than absolutely needed to see the area of the hole.  If it is a pip it should be different tomorrow, if it is a puncture it will be the same. I have never attempted any egg shell 'repairs' but I believe some folks have been able to cover small holes in the hopes that it would reduce infection chances till hatch.  You may want to read through the 'hatching 101' article to see if it addresses it in there.  I'm sorry I don't have the first hand experience to offer further advice.

Okay I will try to leave her be. Will I smell it if it goes bad and she's still sitting on it? I'd just hate for one egg to ruin the others by exploding, its about mid-90's during the day here.

Okay I will try to leave her be. Will I smell it if it goes bad and she's still sitting on it? I'd just hate for one egg to ruin the others by exploding, its about mid-90's during the day here.

My broody had a similar situation, egg with tiny hole but not stinking. Two days later the egg was busted open. She took care of it. I think they sometimes eat the "bad" eggs. A pip will look more like the shell has it's bubbled up from the inside rather than missing on the outside.

Back
Top Bottom