Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I don't use medicated feed.... not even sure if you can get it here in the UK.... things are much tighter regarding any medication here, both for people and animals. My chicks free range in the stables, yard, muck heap(favourite place) and paddocks and so far out of 26 chicks hatched this summer I have lost one. They have had no medication whatsoever to this point and are all strong and healthy. I find it hard to believe that conditions in the USA are less healthy than here, other than perhaps the increased use of medication when it's not necessary. Not meaning to lecture, but I'm a firm believer in only treating illness when it exists. Whilst sometimes it is frustrating here when you need medication and can only get it through a vet or doctor, I think, on the whole, it is a better way to be.

If it is just a probiotic in the medicated feed, then obviously that is less of a worry, but even so, why not keep the probiotic for when you have a chick that needs it. If the feed contains an antibiotic, then I would be really concerned about it's routine use. I think the real worry is that people don't even think about it, but just use it because everyone else does. The fact that people are unsure as to what the medication actually is, is further evidence of the brainwash.

I don't want to appear overly critical or self righteous but I would just like people to question what they do and why, so that they make an informed decision, rather than just go with the flow because everyone else does. Pharmaceutical companies, and particularly the agro chemical industry, are some of the most profitable in the world.... it's in their interests for you to keep routinely using their products, even if you don't need them.

Hope your hen is back to normal soon. As others have said, it may be hormonal and nothing to do with the medicated feed.

Best wishes

Barbara

When I first got chicks, ducks and turkeys I fed medicated starterand had no problems with any. Later I got quail I fed them medicated until I used up the feed I had. I switched to game bird starter. The only problem I've seen is when I move chicks from the brooder outside sometimes I have to treat them for cocci. My Brodie's typically keep their chicks in the barn a day or two before taking them into the yard. I give them a scoop of starter those days, but once they go out with the rest of the flock they don't get any thing extra. The free range flock gets what ever is left in the feeders of the cooped and caged birds and rabbits. I dump all that in a bucket and then give them some 3 grain scratch. That I throw out in the yard behind the barn in a spot that has no grass. As soon as I turn them out they go running to see what I've left them. They also get any kind of kitchen scraps I might have.

The reasoning for all that...

Your hen raised chicks who free range with a hen are good with little or no feed at all as long as they have a area to find there own food. Mine have 3 acres to forge on. Now I need to figure out what I will feed during the upcoming winter months. Any suggestions?

I use medicated starter almost all of the time, although there is an argument that when the chicks hatch under momma they don't need it. Since I hatch both under momma and in an incubator, I use it for both. Incubator hatched chicks definitely need medicated starter, which I learned the hard way after losing 1/2 of my chicks in two different hatches.

All of that said, let's just talk about the benefits and rumors about medicated starter feed and you can make the decision whether you want to use it or not. First, it will not help if your chicks are already showing signs of cocci. If that happens, you need Corid or another medication quickly in order to save the chicks. If your laying hens drink some of the water that has Corid in it, their eggs should not be eaten for a period of time (that period of time depends on a lot of factors). The only thing that medicated chick feed does is protect the digestive system while the chick is developing its immunity to the bacteria which is everywhere with a probiotic medication. Once cocci is evident in a chick, the likelihood that it will live without treatment is very small. I don't know why cocci doesn't affect the chicks raised under momma like it does those that are raised in a brooder, but my experience shows that momma raised chicks do not generally get cocci.

Second, it will not make your eggs unsuitable for eating should your laying birds eat some of it. Starter feed in general is not recommended for laying hens for two reasons. The protein levels are higher than a laying bird needs and it does not contain calcium and other nutrients that they may need. Feeds are developed with the nutritional needs of the intended audience specifically addressed.

So, for my money, I'll feed the medicated feed because I have had problems with cocci in the past. I will always feed it to the incubator and brooder raised chicks. I'll feed it to the momma raised chicks just because it is convenient. If you haven't had any problems, you may not want to feed medicated feed. If you are worried that you will have problems and are afraid to lose any chicks, then go ahead and use it. It is really a personal decision that each flock owner has to make for themselves based on their methods, goals and experiences. Either way is okay. It is best sometimes to have all of the information and then make a decision for yourself based on your own needs.

Medicated feed contains something (usually Amprolium) to control Coccidia. Coccidia is a protozoan, not a bacteria. Amprolium is not an antibiotic.

I agree with rebrascora that in the U.S. medications are overused. This year I had 18 chicks - 10 hatched here and 8 came from a feed store. One died as a result of the mom killing it. The broody hatched chicks have not received any medication. The feed store chicks got one round of Amprolium in their water for 5 days because their droppings where not normal. We have horses, cats, along with wildlife and wild doves that eat with the chickens sometimes. My farm isn't filthy, nor is it sparkling clean. The chicks go out in the yard or a horse stall starting at 1 week old. They are going to be out with the flock so they might as well start building some natural immunity right away.

Eventually some illness will affect my chickens. However, I firmly believe that medicating them and/or sheltering them from what is out there only weakens their immune systems.

Medicated feed contains something (usually Amprolium) to control Coccidia. Coccidia is a protozoan, not a bacteria. Amprolium is not an antibiotic.

I agree with rebrascora that in the U.S. medications are overused. This year I had 18 chicks - 10 hatched here and 8 came from a feed store. One died as a result of the mom killing it. The broody hatched chicks have not received any medication. The feed store chicks got one round of Amprolium in their water for 5 days because their droppings where not normal. We have horses, cats, along with wildlife and wild doves that eat with the chickens sometimes. My farm isn't filthy, nor is it sparkling clean. The chicks go out in the yard or a horse stall starting at 1 week old. They are going to be out with the flock so they might as well start building some natural immunity right away.

Eventually some illness will affect my chickens. However, I firmly believe that medicating them and/or sheltering them from what is out there only weakens their immune systems.
I agree that it is out there everywhere and they have to develop tolerance to it. I think that the difficulty with brooder raised chicks is that the temperature is a constant high and that allows the protozoans (sorry, I kind of lump everything into bacteria even though I know there are several different disease causing agents) to grow at a more rapid rate. There isn't a normal evening cool off, dry and wet according to the daily weather, a fresh breeze scattering protozoa and bacteria in a larger area, etc that exists in a natural environment. I take mine off at 2 weeks, by then they have to sink or swim. I am very hesitant to use any medications on my chickens as a whole, generally settling for natural methods and if those don't work then I allow that the chicken in question will probably never be a fit member of the flock. Fingers crossed, the only real problems that I've had is cocci in the brooder and injuries (which are a different story all together).

Just remember that the Amprollium (either in the water or the starter feed) will not cure cocci if your chicks are suffering from an infection, all it is designed to do is act as a probiotic.

I agree that it is out there everywhere and they have to develop tolerance to it. I think that the difficulty with brooder raised chicks is that the temperature is a constant high and that allows the protozoans (sorry, I kind of lump everything into bacteria even though I know there are several different disease causing agents) to grow at a more rapid rate. There isn't a normal evening cool off, dry and wet according to the daily weather, a fresh breeze scattering protozoa and bacteria in a larger area, etc that exists in a natural environment. I take mine off at 2 weeks, by then they have to sink or swim. I am very hesitant to use any medications on my chickens as a whole, generally settling for natural methods and if those don't work then I allow that the chicken in question will probably never be a fit member of the flock. Fingers crossed, the only real problems that I've had is cocci in the brooder and injuries (which are a different story all together).

Just remember that the Amprollium (either in the water or the starter feed) will not cure cocci if your chicks are suffering from an infection, all it is designed to do is act as a probiotic.
Totally agree! Call me crazy, but when I had my week old chicks in the house I turned off their heat lamp at night. I put some glass bottles full of hot water in the brooder and covered them in towels. The chicks huddled up to them just like they would a hen. A couple of them even snuggled under a towel like it was a wing. They learned to huddle for warmth and also that night time is sleepy-time. Otherwise they would make noise all night and keep me awake. The temp in the brooder got down to 60-65 at night, but the chicks were warm with the water bottles.

Now to get off of the topic of whether to use medicated feed or not, here we are on day 7. I'll probably candle tomorrow morning when she gets off of the nest. 10 eggs under her, I already took out 4. She's been broody before, with her previous owner, but she never let her hatch any. And, of course she wouldn't use a nesting box....has to be in that dark back corner where I have to crawl on hands and knees to get to the nest. Will need to reinforce the chicken wire with smaller wire so no chicks (if any) can escape her watchful eye. We'll see how she does, LF brahmas tend to be tough on their eggs (although she hasn't broken any yet).

10 days to go. Had one early quitter and 8 solid mass. Really proud of my N.H.broody so far she has been a trooper.

I have a jersey giant that was sitting on 9 eggs, just went out to water and feed he flock for the evening and peeked in on her and she was off the nest...Took the opportunity to candle her 9 eggs, two were infertile.. when I was putting them back noticed another JG sitting on the top nesting box, went to put my hand under her to check for eggs when I noticed the red leg tag...it was my broody.. We have tried to move her to a secure spot twice but she refused so I allowed her to sit her eggs in the coop, realized that wont work either...Brought the eggs in and put them in the incubator while I decide whether or not I will allow her to have them back...

I had blocked off her nest but remove the barricade in the late afternoon after all the hens have laid their eggs and they are gathered, I cant block her 24/7 as she needs to be able to get up and move, eat and poo...

Suggestions?? She is a young hen...6-7 months old and like I said, refuses to be moved

Ok, so update:
Went out to check everyone one last time and Broody was back on her right nest, I think she was kicked out earlier and went to the only other nest with an egg? I had removed her blockaid an hour or so earlier than I had before... I took the chance and gave her back her eggs and will watch her closely and make sure before I allow her out that the other hens are finished for the day

Last edited:
What a Happy Labor Day! My broody's eggs started to hatch today!!!!
Today is day 20. Mid-morning I was out by the coop and heard a loud peep!! Broody was softly clucking away. My husband came out to listen with me. Another hen approached broody's nest and bit at her head, so broody got up and chased her off. Before she got back on the nest, my husband was able to see the eggs- one has a hole in it and he saw the chick moving inside!! Broody got back on and we didn't hear much other than one soft peep before we decided to go back inside and give her some privacy. I'm so anxious for evening feeding time to roll around so I can peak or at least listen again. So excited!!!

Back
Top Bottom