Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Rachel'sFlock :

Quote:
Oh my gosh, how cute are they!?!
Sorry to hear about your Mamma hen passing on. Hope you have another and very soon!

X2!! Love the poufs on top of their heads!​

So My Black Copper Marans hen has been laying about a month now... & she went broody. So... what did I do? I ordered fertile BCM eggs b/c I fully respect that decision! In my neighborhood, we can't have roosters... that's why the ordering
wink.png

I'm so excited & can't wait to get the "clutch" under her. She's been sitting pretty all day & she's back in there tonight. I found her on top of her egg last night & my heart broke for her.

Quote:
Good for you on ordering her eggs! My broody had to wait for me to order her some eggs too. Poor thing had to wait a whole week but a week ago she hatched out 4 of the cutest little ones you've ever seen. In my opinion, it's worth it! Congrats on your broody.

What I have learned from my First Hatch:

Meddle less.
Relax more.
Have more faith in the hen to do her work.
Set fewer eggs to begin with.
Enjoy the suspense.
Have a stack of books to read during the 21 days.

Next time (and, gods and hens willing there will be a next time) I will be a lot more patient with the whole process.
The second (and subsequent times after) will likely be much easier.

Turns out, chickens really do know a lot more about being chickens than I ever will! Stony, and Miss Lydia, you were absolutely right! About everything!

Rachel'sFlock :

Turns out, chickens really do know a lot more about being chickens than I ever will! Stony, and Miss Lydia, you were absolutely right! About everything!

thumbsup.gif
to that! I was thinking, I know that Miss Lydia now has a little chickie named after her, perhaps BarnGoddess and stonykill need namesakes too.
jumpy.gif

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
to that! I was thinking, I know that Miss Lydia now has a little chickie named after her, perhaps BarnGoddess and stonykill need namesakes too.
jumpy.gif

I agree, many, many thanks to them all! I couldn't have made it without you all, and hope I can repay the favor by 'talking a newbie off the ledge' one day, around 3am.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom