Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Quote:
Well, aren't they just the cutest! I'm honoured!!
wink.png

glad to hear someone else had success w/ a broody & ordering! hooray! & those babies are super cute. i sifted through some of the thread & the pics of moms w/ babies warmed my heart. very sweet. made me super excited about the new adventure i'm going on w/ the chickens
wink.png

wee.gif

Rachel'sFlock :

What I have learned from my First Hatch:

Meddle less.
Relax more.
Have more faith in the hen to do her work.
Set fewer eggs to begin with.
Enjoy the suspense.
Have a stack of books to read during the 21 days.

Next time (and, gods and hens willing there will be a next time) I will be a lot more patient with the whole process.
The second (and subsequent times after) will likely be much easier.

Turns out, chickens really do know a lot more about being chickens than I ever will! Stony, and Miss Lydia, you were absolutely right! About everything!

I can vouch for this all being true. My first time was a flop and I think it was too much interferance and too many eggs. The second was MUCH easier on me, even though it was still sort-of the first time. I didn't mess with the hen near as much, and at the hight of other hens sneaking in she only got up to 7...she now has 4 adorable little chicks and I know you guys deserve part of the credit for the advice, the fuzzy butt fixes you shaired, and holding my hand though all the
wee.gif
so poor mama didn't have me messin in the coop all day.

As to taking the chicks out. Once my hens started they were out all day every day. I just lay a board to span the jump and check on them after supper to make sure they ALL made it in (a few times one didn't--if it won't let you scoop it up then grab mama off the nest to cluck to it
wink.png
One night I didn't get out to check on the first batch and one was lost--My observation with both moms is the hen will stay with the majority of the chicks, Fluffy Britches would plop on top of them all outside befor I remebered to instal the "ramp", but will leave one chick to take the other 3 to the nest at night).​

hey peoples what does the broody 'growl' sound like? My PR is favouring the nestbox lately and made a strange noise when I checked on her in there the past two days.

Quote:
"stonykill" is a stream on my property. "kill" being Dutch for stream.

Cute bird, but I would think a roo should carry on my name....
lol.png

Ahhh, this whole time I was wondering why you had chosen your name. A stream is one thing I wish we had on our property. As for needing a roo to name after you, believe me, I thought of that and "stony" looked the most roo-ish out of the bunch. "He" just has that look in his eye!
wink.png

Quote:
"stonykill" is a stream on my property. "kill" being Dutch for stream.

Cute bird, but I would think a roo should carry on my name....
lol.png

Ahhh, this whole time I was wondering why you had chosen your name. A stream is one thing I wish we had on our property. As for needing a roo to name after you, believe me, I thought of that and "stony" looked the most roo-ish out of the bunch. "He" just has that look in his eye!
wink.png

thumbsup.gif

My little JB hen was all squashed down over her 4 eggs this morning when I went to check on them. She has managed to defend her eggs from the egg stealing blue cochin bantam hen who wants some eggs in the worst way!! Unfortunately I don't think hers are fertile since her feathering seems to be preventing the JB roo from hitting a homerun. Poor hen! Maybe someone will be selling hatching eggs at the chicken swap tomorrow?! hee hee

Back
Top Bottom