Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by michaelinnc84, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

As long as it's not a muscovy it may work. they take 35 days. what breed duck?

2. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    another broody. A blue born last year. Tonight is the 1st night she is sitting. If she sits a few nights I'll replace her warm golf balls with fresh eggs! Up to 5 broody's so far [​IMG]

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

Warm golf balls that funny, and congrats on yet another broody, I' m just at 3 so far not counting my 2 ducks. hey stony ducklings hatching here 2 so far!! how are your runners doing?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  4. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    [​IMG]

5. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    Soon you will be putting 125ish chickens in your signature line!!!

6. stonykill

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    ducks count! [​IMG] .

NICE! I so want a broody duck! Ducklings are so adorable. And don't tell my chickens, but I may just like my ducks better [​IMG].

Patrick and Penelope are doing great! Penelope lays most every day. She ALWAYS bury's the egg in shavings. My Pekins rarely do that. I have 7 or 8 (I forget) Runner eggs in the bator. I got an order for a few. As of day 5 all were showing great veining! Patrick not only protects his girl ( he likes to charge the Pekins through a fence [​IMG] but he is obviously up to the job! I can't wait to see fawn and white runner ducklings!

7. stonykill

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    lol. I am counting my new incubated chicks as chickens. So rooster going to the freezer will change that number. But I'm sure the broody Sumatra's may just make your prediction come true! [​IMG]

8. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    I will drive by your house and your tree will be filled with blue and black sumatras!!!!!

9. stonykill

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    my broody's will certainly do their best! [​IMG]

10. MamaRoo

MamaRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    A ferry ride away, WA
    Well, tomorrow is day 21. My silkie went broody a couple days before I left for vacation so I stuffed some eggs under her, locked her in a cat crate, and told the sitter to make sure she has food and water, but otherwise ignore her. Got back from vacation and had some non-chicken drama to deal with, so today was really the first day I've started to think about her.

I don't remember if I put three, or four eggs under her, and I have no idea what they were, or even if they're fertile. I'm certainly not going to start digging around underneath her and candling the eggs at this late date, so the next few days will be interesting. I like the 'wait 25 days' advice given some pages back and I'll be out there listening to the cat crate for the next few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by