Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by michaelinnc84, Feb 27, 2011.

1. WVChickenFarmer

WVChickenFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Union, WV
    Hi all! I'm new to this thread. [​IMG] Today should be day #15 for my hen. I think she might have decided to give up on the eggs. Usually she will eat little in the morning and go right back to her nest even when the others free range. Well I let them out to free range this morning around 9 am or so. She is still out and has not gone back to her nest. I'm afraid she may have decided to abandon her eggs. Has any one else had this happen before? Is there any thing I can do, should I be worried, do you think she will go back to her nest?

2. 123ChickieLou

123ChickieLou Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2011
    Louisiana
    Mine did that a little bit too. She always went back. Once I brought her back, heh. She has a hatch so I guess everything went fine, at least for that one.

Question for others-- how long should I wait after the first hatch to remove the rest of the eggs?

3. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Is she a newbie at being a broody? If she's a young pullet I read that they tend to abandon easier then older hens. If she's not back on them by evening you could try locking her up somewhere with the eggs. Have you checked the eggs to see if they are viable? You may want to do that before trying to force her back on the nest. Sorry - I'm kind of going through a similar thing - my Topsy is a new silkie broody pullet and she seems to want to be a broody - but she's not good at it yet.

4. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    When she leaves the nest with the chicks - you can remove the eggs then. Candle them if you want and see if there's any need to keep incubating. Most likely she's done with them if she left the nest with the babies.

5. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    x2

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Mountains of Western N.C.
    Don't you love to watch a mama and her chicks [​IMG]

7. WVChickenFarmer

WVChickenFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Union, WV
    Yes she is a newbie at being broody. I may try lock her up some place else with just her eggs if she is not back on them this evening. I just don't where to put her yet. I have tried to check her eggs but I really could not see any thing. I thought my hen was doing pretty well since she didn't really leave her nest very long until today. Thanks for your help. I had no idea that young pullets would abandon their eggs. She will be a year old next month.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Mountains of Western N.C.
    I hope she goes back to them i would just wait and see. It's amazing how long they can be off the nest and still get those eggs to hatch. Do you think one of the other hens may have been harassing her?

9. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Cool thread...I did not read the whole time based on time I have to scan...quick question, easy one I am sure. I am new to the broody hen...my first ever is now broody, starting yesterday, a black australorp....how many eggs will she lay till she stops and just sits? I have already placed an EE egg under her, see, I want to have the EE's increased in my flock, so my 3 girls that are laying, I want to place their eggs under her as well. But I do not want 20 eggs under her, so I plan on pulling out a few of hers and replacing them with the EE eggs.

any advice? How many is too many to sit on and hatch!?

10. 123ChickieLou

123ChickieLou Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2011
    Louisiana

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by