Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by michaelinnc84, Feb 27, 2011.

1. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Success! Gloria has accepted all 5 of the babies we put under her this weekend. I was a bit worried though, as she hasn't left the nest (at all that I can tell, no signs of droppings or disturbances in the food) since we put the first 3 chicks under her. This afternoon when I went to check on them I could hear one of the chicks chirping from all the way across the yard. When I opened up the broody pen it was sitting on the boards in front of the box I had her nest in. She's been a grumpy broody the past few days, so I was a little afraid to stick my hand near her to tuck the chick back in, although it was obviously cold (still active, but shivering). So, instead I just dumped the whole nest directly onto the boards. The little chick that had been out of the nest quickly tucked itself back under Gloria. And two of the other chicks came out to check out what was going on! I cooked up some eggs for them last night, and Gloria immediately started pecking at them. At first, I thought she was chowing down, but she was actually breaking them into smaller bits and trying to get the chicks to eat them [​IMG] I finally manged to find my camera, but not before one of the chicks decided to hunker down under Gloria again. But here are the pictures I got with her and the one chick.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. aaggjg

aaggjg Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2011
    OMG Gloria is BEAUTIFUL!!! As is that chick!!! What kind of Chicken is she??? I'd love to see a picture of your broody pen too! I have a first time broody and am trying to figure out if I should move her or not ..... but I don't have anywhere to move her.

3. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Awwhh. Going into cuteness overload. :)

4. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Something about a Mother hen and her chicks is cuter then the chicks being in a brooder box.... [​IMG]

5. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I've only had two broodies so far, both of them are small pullets that laid about four eggs before stopping to sit. They laid the eggs and stayed on the nest at night. One was an EE mutt and the other is a silkie. Too many is when she can't cover them to keep them warm at night, including when they are chicks. My EE had eight LF eggs and hatched three. So probably three was her limit. A LF grl could probably cover 10, but for a first timer you may want to limit her clutch.

6. WVChickenFarmer

WVChickenFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Union, WV
    She still has not gone back to her nest. [​IMG] I don't think any of the other hens have been harassing her. I haven't seen them bothering her. I guess I will try to candle the eggs and if they look like they are viable. I will just have to put her some place separate.

7. WVChickenFarmer

WVChickenFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Union, WV
    So sweet! Glad things worked out for you! I have a hen named Gloria also. [​IMG]

8. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    The more I look at this the hungrier I get for scrambled eggs ;)

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

Start marking the eggs 1-. I use a washable maker and start marking them, when she is finished remove the oldest ones till you have them amount under her your comfortable with. Good luck and let us hear how it goes, first time broody anywhere from 4-8 depending on hen size.Most of us on here limit the amount of chicks we let our first time broodys hatch.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

Wanted to show ya'll pics of my chicks so far from my 2 broodys of this year, Scarlett hatched 3 we lost one to drowning but the other 2 are doing great and will be 6 weeks old this Thurs.Tell me they aren't both boys [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by