Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Wanted to show ya'll pics of my chicks so far from my 2 broodys of this year, Scarlett hatched 3 we lost one to drowning but the other 2 are doing great and will be 6 weeks old this Thurs.Tell me they aren't both boys
hide.gif

I already told you my opinion but I just wanted to say those are awesome pictures!

Now that i have hogged a whole page, lol I have another question remember the EE's i got well they are almost 10 weeks old but this color on the one is so pretty, is it a specific color? and I like these EE's so much i am getting 4- 3 week old this sat. here it is the color I am asking about.

Checked on Topsy this morning and she's sitting on the eggs again
celebrate.gif
- although some of them were sticking out from under her a little.

She apparently didn't like my setup because she moved the eggs over to the other side of the area nearer the food & water. I'm wondering if I should put her & the eggs in a smaller container to better help her keep the eggs under herself.
Or is that too much micromanagement?
hu.gif

I wouldnt move her. But you might mound up the shavings around her a little. What about a couple of socks filled with beans to make a burm around her......

deb "just thinking"

Wanted to show ya'll pics of my chicks so far from my 2 broodys of this year, Scarlett hatched 3 we lost one to drowning but the other 2 are doing great and will be 6 weeks old this Thurs.Tell me they aren't both boys
hide.gif

Ummm ok.... They aren't both boys....
gig.gif
Was looking for just the fist pounding crying gif ..... so ignore the laughing... I feel your pain....

Looks like they are both boys
hide.gif

Hey everyone :D

I have a bantam d'Uccle who went broody what I thought was about a week and a half ago. Well when I candled the eggs today, they seemed almost full into the space but the air sac, making me wonder when incubation actually started. I do have a problem, one of the eggs looks farther along than eight of them, which all look farther along than the last three. See she started setting on eighteen eggs, but I quickly removed two because she was able to keep the others warm. Well two died young, two were infertile, and two were eaten by a corn snake (Now being kept in a pen in my room, sweet Ivan) I'm pretty positive the ones that got eaten were infertile, but that leaves us with twelve now, all which are growing lovely. My main concern is if the one hatches, will she leave the other eleven? I would rather move that egg to my other broody or an incubator and have it hatch somewhere else, than lose eleven others.

They are beautiful! I don't know anything about EE colors - there is an EE thread - if no one on here knows - maybe you could try posting there?

Now that i have hogged a whole page, lol I have another question remember the EE's i got well they are almost 10 weeks old but this color on the one is so pretty, is it a specific color? and I like these EE's so much i am getting 4- 3 week old this sat. here it is the color I am asking about.

Back
Top Bottom