Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Yeah bless her heart - she does a great job of hatching those pingpong balls.

Oh no that is so sad .... Poor Topsy. I'm glad you broke down and bought her some eggs
wee.gif

Update on Mulberry and the kids.

Brine, one of the turkeys, didn't make it - not sure why. He didn't even live 24 hours after I bought him. The other kids are doing great. Mom took them out for the first time yesterday and they're learning to duck and cover when the big girls come around. And Mulberry is teaching the big girls not to come around.

Drumstick, the other turkey, is dumb as a post. He wanders a foot away from Mom and yells that he's lost -- until he turns around and sees her. He wanders around the feet of the big girls and gets pecked. He goes through the bars into the chick feeding pen, and then can't figure out how to get back out. I hope he clues in soon, I'm getting tired of running out to rescue him from himself.

HAHAHAHA - I'm not sticking my hands anywhere near her. She got down off the nest herself after laying yesterday and today - but she never made those sounds before when I would get close to her in the nest. That's what makes me think she's thinking about it. Plus the tossing of straw on herself - makes me wonder if she's thinking broody. Time will tell.

That's quite something!
Sounds pretty annoyed to me! What does she do if you take her off the nest?
idunno.gif

Pictures please...
caf.gif

Update on Mulberry and the kids.

Brine, one of the turkeys, didn't make it - not sure why. He didn't even live 24 hours after I bought him. The other kids are doing great. Mom took them out for the first time yesterday and they're learning to duck and cover when the big girls come around. And Mulberry is teaching the big girls not to come around.

Drumstick, the other turkey, is dumb as a post. He wanders a foot away from Mom and yells that he's lost -- until he turns around and sees her. He wanders around the feet of the big girls and gets pecked. He goes through the bars into the chick feeding pen, and then can't figure out how to get back out. I hope he clues in soon, I'm getting tired of running out to rescue him from himself.

Here's a few. It seems that every time I go out with the camera, mom decides to put the kids downs for a nap.

Butch wondering if it's worth it to try to get those little fluffy things

Mulberry is cat-watching.

Back
Top Bottom