Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

fl.gif
Hope the lil baby makes it!
hugs.gif

Sorry for this question if it has already been asked, but I doubt I can read all 900 some pages before I find out.

I have a broody hen who properly sat for 21 days - starting with 2 chicken eggs and two wooden eggs that I switched out for three more chicken eggs. . . most likely on setting day 2.

Yesterday, the first chick hatched and was tossed out of the nest still all sticky wet from hatching. It was dead. Later that day the second egg began pipping. I sat with her for most of the afternoon and all seemed to be going well. I left at dusk. THis morning the almost hatched chick was found rolled out of the nest and, of course, was dead.

So. . . thinking Hilda would make a better brooder than mother, I took the remaining eggs out of the nest and put them into my Nesco Roasting Oven for lack of an incubator.

I have the temp a consistant 97. I just checked the humidity and it is about 75%. I hear more than one chick peeping.

Now what do I do? Did I do the right things? Anything I should not have done or should do differently? This is my first ever home-hatched clutch and my grandchildren are going to be so distressed if the whole batch fails.

I'm hoping she makes it, too. Maybe she could be Miracle...if it were me, Id rather be Miracle than Squashy...

LOL. Well, hopefully more will hatch and I'll forget which one was the squashed chick. S/he is doing much better now. Still not opening eyes fully or moving any distance but is now doing the 'new chick flop' and peeping is louder/less weak.

Quote: That's probably what I would have done. I have an incubator running for just that problem (see my posts on my squashed chick above). I have a bator running with just seven backup eggs and I'm keeping an eye on my broodies since they are both first timers. I had one broody last year that was a horrible hatcher - she squashed/suffocated every egg she tried to hatch, but if you gave her fluffed out chicks she did a great job.

Sorry for this question if it has already been asked, but I doubt I can read all 900 some pages before I find out.

I have a broody hen who properly sat for 21 days - starting with 2 chicken eggs and two wooden eggs that I switched out for three more chicken eggs. . . most likely on setting day 2.

Yesterday, the first chick hatched and was tossed out of the nest still all sticky wet from hatching. It was dead. Later that day the second egg began pipping. I sat with her for most of the afternoon and all seemed to be going well. I left at dusk. THis morning the almost hatched chick was found rolled out of the nest and, of course, was dead.

So. . . thinking Hilda would make a better brooder than mother, I took the remaining eggs out of the nest and put them into my Nesco Roasting Oven for lack of an incubator.

I have the temp a consistant 97. I just checked the humidity and it is about 75%. I hear more than one chick peeping.

Now what do I do? Did I do the right things? Anything I should not have done or should do differently? This is my first ever home-hatched clutch and my grandchildren are going to be so distressed if the whole batch fails.
I've never even used a bator for hatching let a lone a Nesco Roasting Oven, but hopefully stony or someone who is experienced will be able to help you with temp and humidity. If your hearing peeping then hopefully all is well, shrink wrapped would be my main concern. Thats were the membrane gets dried out and chick can't break through. As far as broody who knows why they do things like this. I had one do something simular last year. I will be waiting to hear how this comes out and hoping you nor your grandchildren will be disappointed
fl.gif

That's probably what I would have done. I have an incubator running for just that problem (see my posts on my squashed chick above). I have a bator running with just seven backup eggs and I'm keeping an eye on my broodies since they are both first timers. I had one broody last year that was a horrible hatcher - she squashed/suffocated every egg she tried to hatch, but if you gave her fluffed out chicks she did a great job.

Featherz, what should her temp and humidity be for this close to hatch?

I have never heard of all flock. Who makes it?

Sorry it took so long to get back to you on this one. I kept forgetting to go out and look at the bag when it was light out! All Flock is made by Nutrena. Three feed stores in town, and oddly enough not one of them sells the same brands! One has purina products, one has Agrimaster products (although I have seen a few small bags of Nutrena there, but they're only 5 or 7 pounds and cost half as much as the 50lb bags!), and the third has a store brand and Nutrena products.

Back
Top Bottom