Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Well, my broodies are due tomorrow and I *MAY* have saved a chick. Or maybe not. :) But the chick was a goner if I did nothing, so what the heck, right? :)

I opted to leave my broodies in place, as I did last year, although one thankfully went broody in a moveable box so I moved her out of the preferred nesting area. She still gets an extra egg in there now and then, but not 5 or 6 like before. Anyways, was in the coop today when my broody NN was out doing her 'constitutional' and another hen was sitting on the nest.. She runs in and starts up with the frantic broody cluck. I had headphones in so just figured she wanted her spot back until I heard cheeping. Peeked under the non broody on the nest and there's a half squashed egg in there with a chick in it. Argh! Momma was frantic and non broody just looked hungry (eep). Pulled squashed egg, put it in my sweatshirt, ran back to the house and stuck it in my incubator, which has just a few eggs in it as 'backup' in case my girls squash all their eggs. (grr).

Chick is weak but still peeping and moving. I left the shell on just in case the yolk was not absorbed but good news is almost no blood so I am hopeful that this very small egg was actually close to really hatching. I tried to move momma and eggs to a cat carrier but she wasn't having it so she's back on her regular nest. Wish my little squashy luck!

mama has not been out to eat or poo in 2 days, the chicks started hatching and i was wondering, is it safe to move her when there all hatched into a new little coop and pen in the yard ? she is on my front porch, no way for her and chicks to go out side, and this pen she is in is a hutch so no way the hutch can go out side as its ope aired and its cold here, I mean cold ! 27 degree's this morning and raining. I bought her a coop and pen like this one so she can have her privacy since the big coop is not big enough for her and chicks as the next box was way high and no way for her to get them down, and not enough floor space ( we are rectifying this this weekend ) so I purchased a coop and pen so she has a place and safe to go out with them .
here is the coop

http://www.chickencoopsource.com/ch.../precisionpetproductshenhousechickencoop1.cfm

will her and the babies be ok in this coop in this cold of weather? also she has 5 eggs, 1 hatched in the middle of the night. will she allow the move and not harm the babies??

mama has not been out to eat or poo in 2 days, the chicks started hatching and i was wondering, is it safe to move her when there all hatched into a new little coop and pen in the yard ? she is on my front porch, no way for her and chicks to go out side, and this pen she is in is a hutch so no way the hutch can go out side as its ope aired and its cold here, I mean cold ! 27 degree's this morning and raining. I bought her a coop and pen like this one so she can have her privacy since the big coop is not big enough for her and chicks as the next box was way high and no way for her to get them down, and not enough floor space ( we are rectifying this this weekend ) so I purchased a coop and pen so she has a place and safe to go out with them .
here is the coop

http://www.chickencoopsource.com/ch.../precisionpetproductshenhousechickencoop1.cfm

will her and the babies be ok in this coop in this cold of weather? also she has 5 eggs, 1 hatched in the middle of the night. will she allow the move and not harm the babies??
If you move her now she will probably settle right back down on the nest and eggs. just make sure the one already hatched can't fall out of coop and not get back to mama. Mama will keep those chicks toasty warm. Thats a very nice coop by the way. When you move them be sure to bring nesting material with you from the nest she is on now, close the door to the coop and leave her alone for the rest of the day, be sure to put food and water inside so she can have something close by. She probably won't bring the chicks out for 2-3 days after hatch. Congrats!!

Well, my broodies are due tomorrow and I *MAY* have saved a chick. Or maybe not. :) But the chick was a goner if I did nothing, so what the heck, right? :)

I opted to leave my broodies in place, as I did last year, although one thankfully went broody in a moveable box so I moved her out of the preferred nesting area. She still gets an extra egg in there now and then, but not 5 or 6 like before. Anyways, was in the coop today when my broody NN was out doing her 'constitutional' and another hen was sitting on the nest.. She runs in and starts up with the frantic broody cluck. I had headphones in so just figured she wanted her spot back until I heard cheeping. Peeked under the non broody on the nest and there's a half squashed egg in there with a chick in it. Argh! Momma was frantic and non broody just looked hungry (eep). Pulled squashed egg, put it in my sweatshirt, ran back to the house and stuck it in my incubator, which has just a few eggs in it as 'backup' in case my girls squash all their eggs. (grr).

Chick is weak but still peeping and moving. I left the shell on just in case the yolk was not absorbed but good news is almost no blood so I am hopeful that this very small egg was actually close to really hatching. I tried to move momma and eggs to a cat carrier but she wasn't having it so she's back on her regular nest. Wish my little squashy luck!
fl.gif

Squashy has made some progress. s/he is still peeping and is making motions like it's trying to 'zip'. As you can see, there's less blood than I would expect for a premature chick..

had a broody hatch yesterday. A black Sumatra, she won't let me see what she has. Another due tomorrow to start her hatch. And a pic of my latest broody. This makes 6 so far this year
celebrate.gif

Hi All!

I found this thread yesterday! Been stuck on it since!

My Pekin, Florence, went broody very quickly over the Easter holidays, so because we have no cock I sourced 6 fertile eggs and put them under her and she's been a great little sitter ever since!

Today is day 20! I'm so nervous/apprehensive/excited! It's funny the impact these little creature can have on you!

So, when we put chick can on this morning (my husband being a gadget freak rigged up a video camera feed that allows our daughters to have a peek at Florence in her nest box! It's brill!) I thought I could hear cheeping - but I quickly came to the conclusion that it was the wild birds and wishful thinking.

When I went to check on Florence later on this morning, I was chatting to her and she was cluck, clucking back and low and behold the cheep, cheep again! I'm 95% positive the hatch has started but she won't let me see and chick cam isn't detecting any little chicks, either, as I'm sure they're safely tucked up under Mummy!

I'm just hoping she get's 'something' for all her hard work and a few friends for her something would be brilliant too :)

Hey....
welcome-byc.gif
from San Diego.....
pop.gif
caf.gif
Oooh pix please....

deb

so you put chicken eggs under your Pekin? If so the hatch could be started. If you put duck eggs under her you have one more week. And congrats!

Sorry for the confusion! She's a Pekin hen! She has 5 Pekin hen eggs under her and 1 silkie!

I was right! The hatch is on - have one beautiful little yellow ball of fluff, cheeping loudly when Mummy went for a bite to eat! Another one cracked! So, here's hoping! Far too excited to check the others out!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom