Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

So a while bac we had a hen go missing, it was sad times :-(, we looked everywhere for her and nothing, 3 days ago when we was taking a walk to our great pleasure we saw her, after getting closer saw that she was not alone and had 5 chicks with her :), so happy to have her back and have 5 lovely chicks as a bonus, they are now safely tucked up in there own run.
Have put one as my profile pic as don't know how to put pics on here lol, anyone no wat they are ?

So a while bac we had a hen go missing, it was sad times :-(, we looked everywhere for her and nothing, 3 days ago when we was taking a walk to our great pleasure we saw her, after getting closer saw that she was not alone and had 5 chicks with her :), so happy to have her back and have 5 lovely chicks as a bonus, they are now safely tucked up in there own run.
Have put one as my profile pic as don't know how to put pics on here lol, anyone no wat they are ?

Wow it is GORGEOUS!! Is it Blue with a brown spot on his head? What type of chickens do you have? What is the mama, what roosters does she have access to? It's hard to see the tiny profile picture. Is it possible it's a blue partridge of some sort?

Isn't that just the coolest surprise!
big_smile.png
It's gorgeous!

I have a 27 week old white rock that's been broody for over 2 weeks. I've moved her out the nest box several times a day, I have taken the eggs away (they're not fertile) only to have her adopt egg-like objects.. so I got her some fertile eggs. Who would have thought my first broody would be a white rock? And a persistent one at that... *laugh*

I got her 6 beautiful blue eggs yesterday. Moved her off her nest and took away her 'kids' (a quartz egg, a plastic toy ball and a rock..
roll.png
), she was quite mad, until I laid her new 'kids' out. She was instantly smitten. Now, she had not growled at me before, but now she is... She loves they babies! She's extra fluffy looking now and trying her hardest to keep them safe.

I'm slightly concerned, because I have only seen her out and about twice in two weeks time. I am worried she may get to be too weak to go another 21 days. I tried to hand her some food today, but she wasn't having any of it.

Also, do we candle at all with a broody? Or just hope nothing explodes?
Broody hens will only eat when they want to. I tried last year to feed one mash, NO WAY she just puffed up. I never candle eggs under a broody. The bloom on them keeps them long enough. If one goes bad Mom will take care of it. I had a hen last year that went two cycles . She looked like heck but with some sugar water she perked back up..
Chickens
lau.gif
. Sorry it's early and I am not awake.

Broody klutz bird struck again. I go out to check and she broke eggs again. She had also kicked out the fake eggs the day before. She was upset and clucking. I found out my young Jerseys started laying. 4 really dark medium eggs in a corner. I took them and the fake eggs and put them in her spot. 2 hour later I check and she was on the fake eggs and 3 of the new eggs, she kicked one out. Week 2 and I want this over. I have eggs in the incubator that are 2 weeks in. I'll sneak her some chicks at night if we get that far.All I want is for her to raise some chicks and go back to laying.

I moved my broody today. That was an operation on it's own, but now she's in a separate area, with water and food close by. I have an open coop that's 2-3 feet off the ground, so not really an ideal place to hatch babies. The food and water was much too far away from her.

She got off the nest yesterday and walked around a bit, when I picked her up I noticed she's lost a lot of weight... I got her to eat some grapes and a few pieces of bread with oregano oil, cinnamon, garlic and cayenne (it helps with tummy ickies). It took a bit for her to realize that I moved her eggs (tried to go back to the nest and sit in it), but once I showed her the new nest she was ok.

I'm really hoping she will hatch these guys. This is my first broody and my first time hatching eggs. Go big or go home, right?
lol.png

Daisy's chick decided to go and sleep with my broody. That did not go down well, thanks chick.
1209045_4568590992472_809617900_n.jpg

The broody now has her eggs, not sure if they are broken or not after all the drama!

I will get a pic of the mum as we don't know wat she is lol, we have got a black Maran cock a buff Orpington cock and a polish frizzle cock, thinking it may have been the Maran.

Back
Top Bottom