Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

No stupid questions!! Actually, that is a storage bin which I got for $5 or so at WalMart in the laundry or storage area.... they are plastic and stackable and make awesome broody nests. If a hen gets broody and nests somewhere I don't like I can move their nest into one of these bins and leave it in place for a day or so, then simply cover the broody with a towel and move her (bin and all) to a place of my choosing. I also use the bin in our established broody hut area in the coop, once the hen hatches we can pull the bin for cleaning and put it back or remove it completely, depending on size of clutch and temps, etc... I will see if I still have pics of it from when we got them.

I thought it looked familiar!!! I know exactly what you're talking about!!!
I can see them being perfect! You're brilliant!!! Very resourceful! I'm impressed!!! ;-)

I thought it looked familiar!!!  I know exactly what you're talking about!!!
I can see them being perfect!  You're brilliant!!!  Very resourceful!  I'm impressed!!! ;-)
+

Thank, I felt like I hit the lottery when I actually found what I was looking for! I hope the folks who make them never realize what a market they could have or they would double the price in a flash! :lau

Here are some shots of it before broodies took over....

Totally plastic for easy cleaning, convenient handles for carrying...
Here is one of my cats modeling it
and here it is, ready for use, and being inspected by future broody user, Janeway

+

Thank, I felt like I hit the lottery when I actually found what I was looking for! I hope the folks who make them never realize what a market they could have or they would double the price in a flash!
lau.gif

gig.gif
double the price in a flash!!!
Here are some shots of it before broodies took over....

Totally plastic for easy cleaning, convenient handles for carrying... Yup, exactly what I thought!!!
Here is one of my cats modeling it I need a cat to model chicken things for me too. lol Very pretty; I can see why she became a nesting box model. ;-)
and here it is, ready for use, and being inspected by future broody user, Janeway Alright; I guess she approved. =)

We have a hen that gets crazy jealous any time another hen has peeps, she will try calling them for food and in general become a pain to the real broody Last spring we had 2 hens hatch out clutches in May and Janeway bothered them for about 10 days and finally decided to sit herself and hatched out 6 peeps mid June. About a week later one of the original broodies decided she was done and abandoned her 4 little ones. Janeway immediately adopted the orphans and kept them with her for another 5 or 6 weeks. Every broody is different, which is why you see such a variety of answers to many questions on this thread.... what works for one person's broody may not work for another person, so numerous solutions to the same problem.

Janeway and her mixed brood... If you look closely you will see a white face tucked under Janeway's right side... that is the 4th orphan, a white silkie mix who always insisted on sleeping under her...

soo cute!

Okay. I moved the eggs from yesterday up to the top nest box and installed half a dozen golf balls in the bottom.
My hens think golf balls are "Please don't lay your eggs here" signs. lol So, I hope that they'll start laying in the top. =) I further hope that my Cochin (or a Comet; a Leghorn is a miracle too huge to ask for) will decide to sit on the golf balls. I moved the eggs to the top b/c she's a banty, so I want her to know the golf balls are there.
So, just keeping you all abreast of the experiment. =)

I certainly agree that each broody is different. I have a Serama hen with three chicks.
She also covers her sister with her wing at night.......to silly. I'll try to remember to take a pic.

I am just wondering if any one has had this experience.

I have another Serama hen with one chick....three unhatched eggs.
I left the eggs for a bit, just in case. The chick is two weeks old now and not a chance of the others hatching.
I cleaned her cage yesterday and removed the eggs...........
She went nuts.....Tore the bedding apart, screamed and would not quiet down.
Finally, I gave her a fresh egg....she promptly pushed it under her and I swear she smiled.
I have never had a hen raise a chick and set eggs at the same time.....but I am not taking that eggs away
any time soon............
lol.png
She is taking good care of her chick..
I just thought the change in hormones would not allow her to do both things at the same time?????????

Guess she did not read the book

I certainly agree that each broody is different. I have a Serama hen with three chicks.
She also covers her sister with her wing at night.......to silly. I'll try to remember to take a pic.

I left the eggs for a bit, just in case. The chick is two weeks old now and not a chance of the others hatching.
Finally, I gave her a fresh egg....she promptly pushed it under her and I swear she smiled.
I have never had a hen raise a chick and set eggs at the same time.....but I am not taking that eggs away
lol.png
I just thought the change in hormones would not allow her to do both things at the same time?????????

I have never had a broody do that, but I am super interested in finding out if your girl keeps sitting long enough to hatch and raise a staggered clutch.
pop.gif

lol.png

pop.gif
This could get interesting. Never heard of that happening before.

Okay. I moved the eggs from yesterday up to the top nest box and installed half a dozen golf balls in the bottom.
My hens think golf balls are "Please don't lay your eggs here" signs. lol So, I hope that they'll start laying in the top. =) I further hope that my Cochin (or a Comet; a Leghorn is a miracle too huge to ask for) will decide to sit on the golf balls. I moved the eggs to the top b/c she's a banty, so I want her to know the golf balls are there.
So, just keeping you all abreast of the experiment. =)

Two of my Comets laid me eggs on the golf balls.
he.gif
Once I get them figured out..... they go and change it!!!

Back
Top Bottom