Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Well this is my broody partridge silkie hen who is only 8-9 months old. Wow that was fast. Anyways there are three eggs under two from her with a light splash silkie roo and one is from a white showgirl with the same rooster.

The one on the right is the shiwgirl and the rooster is on the left.

Anyways she is around 9 days broody, i candled the eggs last night and saw a little tiny bit of movment. Fingers crossed

I have a banty cochin that I'm fairly sure is laying, but she's not laying in the hen house or anywhere else I can find the eggs. I put her in the brooder yesterday and she got out through the space where you put your hand in, so I put her back in and covered the space. Today, a bit later than yesterday, she tried to get out again.
Also, she's been just sitting sometimes; she's been eating and drinking right along and she moves around a bit, but not a lot.
I'm going to need the brooder for chicks Tues or Wed.
Does anyone think I should stick an egg or two in there to see if she'll sit on it or should I try something like a golf ball so that she can't break it?

Well, so far we have heard only one chick, but not seeing it. Just waiting for the rest, only 3 more to go.:)

I know I'm not TECHNICALLY part of this group anymore since my broody quit, but of the eggs I saved from her wrath, two are looking awesome in my 15 minute throw together incubator and I have one I'm not sure about. I honestly thought all was lost when I couldn't get the temps to level off. They've been in there four days and they have another nine to go.

As for my other broody and her one chick (three weeks old now), they are integrating in the flock beautifully. She's a great mama and the chick is so beautiful. All wings, tail and fluff.

I have a hen on her 21st day with three eggs and no sign of hatching. I think they are late because of the cold temperatures here and the fact that her not broody friend keeps stealing them and leaving them in the cold. I really hope at least one hatches.
fl.gif

I have a hen on her 21st day with three eggs and no sign of hatching. I think they are late because of the cold temperatures here and the fact that her not broody friend keeps stealing them and leaving them in the cold. I really hope at least one hatches.
fl.gif
Oh, I hope so too!!!
fl.gif

I know I'm not TECHNICALLY part of this group anymore since my broody quit, but of the eggs I saved from her wrath, two are looking awesome in my 15 minute throw together incubator and I have one I'm not sure about. I honestly thought all was lost when I couldn't get the temps to level off. They've been in there four days and they have another nine to go.

As for my other broody and her one chick (three weeks old now), they are integrating in the flock beautifully. She's a great mama and the chick is so beautiful. All wings, tail and fluff.
My brood hen hasn't even started laying (well, I think she has, but I'm not sure).
If you're not part of this group, then I can't be either.
Hmmmmm

Our broody, Rosie, hatched a day early... 7/7

Here are a few pics

Awwwwww
love.gif

A second one hatched on thursday but did not make it. We bougth 4 baby chicks on Tuesday and just today she gave up on the other eggs. One was completly formed, the other half way.
My hen is happy with 5 chicks. Hope at least two are hens.

Back
Top Bottom