Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Help! I opened the crate for the broody this morning.....when I went back to see if her water was frozen she had left her eggs (day #10!!) and went back to her original nest in the coop. When I found the eggs still warm I took them to her. I am taking her more water in a few minutes and I will see if she seems to be taking care of them again. If not then I guess she may not be mom material. What do you all think? I know even if she stays on them they could be damaged....sigh.

I'm no eggspert... still on the steep part of the learning curve here, but I doubted any of mine could hatch the whole time, after the several interruptions and second-guessing and moves I put them through, and they all hatched. One time the hen got up for an hour or more and walked around, that early, and the eggs all felt cool. I thought they were goners and marked them with an X so they wouldn't get confused with any new ones someone decided to lay in there. They all hatched. If they still felt warm, I think they still have a good chance.

I'm no eggspert... still on the steep part of the learning curve here, but I doubted any of mine could hatch the whole time, after the several interruptions and second-guessing and moves I put them through, and they all hatched.  One time the hen got up for an hour or more and walked around, that early, and the eggs all felt cool.  I thought they were goners and marked them with an X so they wouldn't get confused with any new ones someone decided to lay in there.  They all hatched.   If they still felt warm, I think they still have a good chance.

Thanks! I guess the only thing to do is wait the rest of the time.....eleven more days! Lol...what a drama this is. I really do want them to hatch, but I realize that they may not all hatch even under the best of circumstances. This is pretty new to me.

:/

Yup... hated the waiting, and wondering, and doubting, and second guessing... And I thought it was hard on the hen!

Hopefully eventually you'll get this: Good morning peeper! I see you!

Mama just hatched out 11 of 12 eggs despite the 15 degree weather. She is a first time broody and just decided freezing cold weather was the best. Lol. Everyone is doing well!

My good-morning peepers are doing good this morning.
smile.png

Momma still doesn't seem to want to get off the nest? I mean, I'm bringing food to her door, so she doesn't really *need* to get up, but still... I'd think she'd want to get up now, but she still seems tied to the nest. There's no more eggs to hatch.

I know she did get up at some point yesterday and let out another poop, but that's it. If I pick her up, she goes straight back to the nest. She is eating but I think her comb still looks a little pale. Is she OK?

My good-morning peepers are doing good this morning.
smile.png

Momma still doesn't seem to want to get off the nest? I mean, I'm bringing food to her door, so she doesn't really *need* to get up, but still... I'd think she'd want to get up now, but she still seems tied to the nest. There's no more eggs to hatch.

I know she did get up at some point yesterday and let out another poop, but that's it. If I pick her up, she goes straight back to the nest. She is eating but I think her comb still looks a little pale. Is she OK?

Some hens seem to have a harder time transitioning from 'nesting mode' to 'mama mode' than others. If it is feasible to do so you can remove her current nest and replace it with a simple pile of straw/hay/bedding of choice in another corner of the cage she is in. Sometimes that will snap them out of the mood and they will start getting out much more to scratch and teach the little ones. I have had hens who continue to set for 2 or more days after last hatch, but moving their nest has always seemed to get them moving.

Back
Top Bottom