Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I would be wary of leaving it for scavengers as it may just attract/encourage predators to come for more live ones.
I have buried birds that died in the past but now I conduct a post mortem(to try to establish cause of death in an ill bird, but also to improve my knowledge and ability to pluck and dress/eviscerate) and then salvage whatever meat/organs are healthy and cook and feed to cats or chickens and bury the remainder for the worms, trees and bacteria to break down and benefit.
I know that sounds heartless and I do love my chickens, but once they are dead then I have an obligation to protect the others and not to waste their body. This seems the best way to do that.

I just lost my first hen to a hawk:(. What does everyone do with the carcass? Should I just let the scavengers have it so at least it's not a total waste to nature? My poor little chicken, she was the only one that wasn't a good flyer.
I am so sorry to hear of your loss.
hugs.gif
Each loss is hard. Hawks can be such a detriment, and they do like to pick off the smaller, slower birds.

I also would strongly recommend that you do not leave the carcass for scavengers...as rebrascora stated, it will draw more hunters and scavengers, and in my area rats...and you do NOT want to get them started. Also, the last thing you want is the hawk to come back and eat more (it will likely try to do so the next day, I've seen them do a fly by to the spot of the kill the next day). That will reinforce to the hawk this is a good hunting ground.

Because of our rat situation, we put our deceased birds in a bag and dispose of it in the trash. If it was an ill bird, I always would dispose in the trash, or burn the carcass, as I don't want any disease left on the premises...that is totally legal (unless my flock was suspcioned/diagnosed with something contractible by humans, like Avian flu).

With non-ill birds, such as those killed by predators, if you would like to bury it so that it can decompose and add nutrients back into the soil, do so very deep, otherwise you will continue the cycle of hunters and scavengers on your property....or you can burn it and scatter the ashes on your rose bushes.

If you have heart to do so, then rebrascora has given wise advice as using it for training on how to dissect and do a necropsy. You will begin to build your eye to what is healthy and what is diseased with the intent of gaining knowledge that will help you become a better flock master.

Lady of McCamley

EDITED TO ADD: I would also keep an eye out for the hawk's return, and you may need to take measures to prevent it viewing your backyard as a happy hunting ground as it has made a successful kill. I find hawk netting and strips of reflective tape to be very helpful. Also, when I see it flying over, or landing in a tree to supervise which one they'd like to pick off, I run out with a pan lid and spoon to make a lot of noise to scare it away. If you have a good watch dog, that can be helpful. Even though mine is a big fluff ball who wouldn't think of barking at the hawk, let alone attacking one to protect the flock, just his presence is another deterrent.

Last edited:
Thanks!
Aw, so cute! I loved raising my hatchery chicks from day olds last year, but I am really enjoying seeing a Mama do her job, what a difference!

i know how you feel. I hatched last spring using an incubator and hand raised the chicks...it definitely was an awesome experience! But sitting there watching mama with her chick & how natural everything is to her is so amazing.

Hi there

So this Is my first ever broody hen hatching chicks! She has been sitting on 6 silkie bantam eggs for two days now and we are very excited! Just wondering if anyone could give us some tips and tricks from experience on ensuring this proccess goes smoothly.
Thank you :)

Hi there

So this Is my first ever broody hen hatching chicks! She has been sitting on 6 silkie bantam eggs for two days now and we are very excited! Just wondering if anyone could give us some tips and tricks from experience on ensuring this proccess goes smoothly.
Thank you
smile.png
Reading through this thread will give you lots of information, but I know also a lot to read...usually the best thing to do is let her do her thing.

A quick Broody 101...

1. Secure and safe nest. A location safe from predators and from busybody or pushy flockmates who can tromp eggs and push her out of the nest when they want to lay.

2. Warm and cozy nest. Her nest should be of cozy bedding, like pine shavings and soft hay. She won't need any additional heat, but she should be out of any direct weather and any drafts.

3. Food and water within sight and a close stroll. I like to keep food an water within sight of the nest so she doesn't forget to eat, but not so close it can tip into the nest and so she has to stretch her legs a little when she does get up to eat. Do NOT worry that she isn't eating. You do not need to take her off the nest. She will do that generally once a day, eat/drink and give one very large smelly poo...just not while you are looking.

4. Avoid over handling the eggs. You don't have to, but if you decide to candle, do so on days 5 and 10, it's easiest to see something on those days. I simply use a small LED flashlight with the egg cupped in my hand and light from below at night as I stand by the nest. Otherwise, leave the eggs alone. Don't worry if she gets a little poo on them...you can use some soft hay to gently clean them if it is wet and really messy, but honestly, they hatch even from dirty eggs and overly vigorous cleaning can wipe the protective bloom off.

5. It is hard, but RESIST over-peeking when she is on "lock down" on days 19-20-21. You can actually cause hatching problems for chicks by disturbing the eggs at the wrong time (disrupting the hen changes the humidity of the eggs which can dry out the membrane and cause the chick to become "shrink wrapped" if you look at the wrong time) You can hear peeping, and you can stand by and watch and catch quick glimpses as she moves, even a very gentle little lift and peek if nothing seems to be happening by day 22.

Here are some helpful links to understand the process
big_smile.png

Candling:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-candling-pics-progression-though-incubation

How the embryo develops (great video):

If you are doing this with kids, here is a great science unit that goes through the process with worksheets
OHSU 4H Unit...The Egg (I break a fertile egg open and show the kids the parts of the egg, then watch the embryo video, then candle eggs at appropriate days, using only the worksheets that help them label and understand the process.)
http://extension.oregonstate.edu/catalog/4h/4-H1500theincredibleegg.pdf

Have fun with your broody and her clutch. Keep us posted!
Lady of McCamley

Back
Top Bottom