Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I have a Buff Orp that has been broody for about 2 weeks. I went to the feed store today and they were selling 4 day old chicks. I bought two having read that a broody hen will adopt chicks quite easily. I read about how to put them directly under the mother and take out eggs etc. I've done that and when the little chick peeks out the B.O. pecks at her quite hard. Right now they are hiding underneath her but I fear she won't take to them. How long before I should "save" the chicks?? I'm nervously waiting this one out for now. Help.

I have a Buff Orp that has been broody for about 2 weeks. I went to the feed store today and they were selling 4 day old chicks. I bought two having read that a broody hen will adopt chicks quite easily. I read about how to put them directly under the mother and take out eggs etc. I've done that and when the little chick peeks out the B.O. pecks at her quite hard. Right now they are hiding underneath her but I fear she won't take to them. How long before I should "save" the chicks?? I'm nervously waiting this one out for now. Help.

I am hoping this will work for you but have a back up brooder prepared in case it doesn't...

Broodies don't adopt chicks 'quite easily'.... they will often adopt them, but it often takes help.... the broody has only been sitting 2 weeks so she wasn't quite expecting suddenly moving and cheeping babies under her. She will take a little while to transition from sitting mode to hatching/momma mode. The chicks being 4 days old is another potential problem, they will have become used to the bright light of the brooder providing them warmth, diving under the broody for warmth and safety will not be their first instinct, so you may need to stay close by to babysit them for a good while to help them all adjust.
When they come out to explore you should help intervene if the hen pecks at them, remember that she thinks they are newly hatched and therefore in her mind she doesn't think they are ready to be out running around yet.... she can adjust but you don't want her to scare the chicks too much before everyone gets adjusted.
With careful intervention and assistance it can work, but it will take some patience and understanding that both the chicks and the hen need time to adjust their current mindsets.

Here's my little Bantam Orpington, Cookie. Our little queen had her own broody set up in the garage. She didn't really get off the nest to eat or poop, so I moved her bottle & bowl within neck's reach. She got used to me scooping out her broody poop & soon learned to poop during my daily check. Yes. That's right. She learned how to poop on command. What a fowl smelling greeting she prepares for me. When I 1st open the garage door, no smell. 60 seconds later = POOP! There it is!

Thankfully, she transitioned well into motherhood. These 7 chicks are all large-sized breeds, but Cookie doesn't seem to mind. The dog crate was moved into the run today. The flock is now able to see & hear the chicks. About how long should I wait until I open the cage door? Maybe after a week of observation?

Thanks. She's on Call duck eggs so will take 26 days and another hen has already been on them for a week now, so she's got even less than usual! Don't want that other hen hatching her. She is quite young and has no experience so want to stick with chickens for her. Orp on the other hand had had lots of chicks, took in chicks, tried to steal chicks and is the mother of half my flock including the broody with no experience who's looking after her eggs! I have a stream in the field, so hopefully they will use that but will try to get the mother use to them going into water before they go down there haha! I'm planning to rehome the ducklings to my friend :). Have heard people say you are supposed to spray the duck eggs regularly, but I'm not sure...
11169999_10202654410761090_6385142671105810190_n.jpg

Now that's a momma on a mission!

I always love your photos.

LofMc

Here's my little Bantam Orpington, Cookie. Our little queen had her own broody set up in the garage. She didn't really get off the nest to eat or poop, so I moved her bottle & bowl within neck's reach. She got used to me scooping out her broody poop & soon learned to poop during my daily check. Yes. That's right. She learned how to poop on command. What a fowl smelling greeting she prepares for me. When I 1st open the garage door, no smell. 60 seconds later = POOP! There it is!

Thankfully, she transitioned well into motherhood. These 7 chicks are all large-sized breeds, but Cookie doesn't seem to mind. The dog crate was moved into the run today. The flock is now able to see & hear the chicks. About how long should I wait until I open the cage door? Maybe after a week of observation?

Love it...such a sweet brood.

Totally depends on your flock and your environment for safety....I tend to lose the little chicks through the holes in my fencing (chain link with the wood slats), so for me, I wait until 2 weeks if I am putting them into the general fray....but with the hawk troubles I have now...I honestly wait until I integrate them as young pullets as I tend to lose banty and smaller...but that's me.

If it's safe, and the flock is laid back, as soon as they are really good on their feet and obeying momma.

LofMc

Now that's a momma on a mission!

I always love your photos.

LofMc
Thank you! Glad I have her as back up now as I'm buying the new broodies (one being her daughter) day old chicks tonight and if they don't accept them, at least I have her who has accepted them in the past and tries to steal other hens chicks haha

I really want to let a hen brood some eggs for the kids enjoyment but none of ours seem interested are there certain breeds that are better brooding

@perchead

Yes, Silkies or silkie mixes or cochins or orpingtons (as you see from Johnns photo of "Orp" a few posts back. Sometimes EEs or even farmyard mutts can make really good broodies. The best bet is to make enquiries locally and find a proven broody. Some people who just want hens for egg production find it a nuisance as they have to keep breaking them of it, so perhaps they could be persuaded to sell or loan you such a bird.
The problem with broodies is that when you are desperate for them to set, they won't oblige and when you have lost patience and bought an incubator and put some eggs in it, they then decide to prove that they are better mothers than you and your machine are.

Good luck finding one that doesn't try your patience too much! They really are a wonder to watch though. It's just the best chicken TV there is, watching a broody teaching her chicks how to scratch and dust bath and giving them piggy back rides etc..

Back
Top Bottom