Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Just wait & you'll have some great stories to tell!  My orp did the same thing.  Then she learned that I removed the poo when I made my daily check.  She learned to hold it until she saw me, then BOOM!  Time of day never even mattered.  It was my presence that caused the reaction.  My family is still laughing about it.  (How I "potty trained" the hen. or how I bring out "the best" in our pets  or even all the remarks about the broody's special presents made with love... or sh**.)  I think you get the idea.  Gross and amusing at the same time.  In the long run all but one egg hatched & that one was a clear.  The dirty little eggs hatched just fine.

She was cranky tonight when I checked her eggs, lol! But she is all snuggled in on them and apparently the plastic has put her 'sisters' completely off sleeping on her crate, which is good. She now has five guinea eggs, but she's getting all twelve when we get closer to hatch. She also has three eggs from my hen Lemon, who I just wanted some chicks from because she's a good hen. One is huge and if it's not a double yolker I'll be surprised. That one is probably coming inside to the incubator to be hatched if it makes it all the way. And after candling, those eggs are fertile too, which I did not expect! My ayam cemani rooster, Raptor, mated with her exactly one time and apparently hit the mark.

Look who hatched under my broody chicken overnight :)
10458937_10202744894583129_5112351982797764759_n.jpg

11226561_10202744894743133_8855302432126351534_n.jpg

She was cranky tonight when I checked her eggs, lol! But she is all snuggled in on them and apparently the plastic has put her 'sisters' completely off sleeping on her crate, which is good. She now has five guinea eggs, but she's getting all twelve when we get closer to hatch. She also has three eggs from my hen Lemon, who I just wanted some chicks from because she's a good hen. One is huge and if it's not a double yolker I'll be surprised. That one is probably coming inside to the incubator to be hatched if it makes it all the way. And after candling, those eggs are fertile too, which I did not expect! My ayam cemani rooster, Raptor, mated with her exactly one time and apparently hit the mark.

Awesome! Sounds like Raptor may have gotten around more than you may have witnessed. Can we see a pic of him? Was he expensive?

Look who hatched under my broody chicken overnight :)
10458937_10202744894583129_5112351982797764759_n.jpg

11226561_10202744894743133_8855302432126351534_n.jpg

So Cute! Congratulations! How many eggs does she still have under her?

So Cute! Congratulations! How many eggs does she still have under her?
Thanks! And she has another duckling but it has something wrong with it, so not sure if it will make it. It seems ok, but has a hernia people are saying. Theres another egg, but she wasn't paying much attention to it so I give it to the hen next to her as all her pheasant babies died for some reason....

Mama BO spent yesterday scattering the 5 remaining eggs so I just let it go and thought she was done with trying to brood and she had gathered all 5 eggs(they were, literally, about 4' apart when she finished scattering them!) as of "bedtime" last night and she is scattering them again this a.m. so I will have to be a grown-up and just take them out and solve the drama.The 3 chix seem to be doing great and while mom was trying to brood some more this morning I pointed to water,food and chicks came over to eat/drink so that makes me feel better! I was hoping to avoid the uniqueness of each chick by getting purebred eggs from breeder(that fell apart!) so I wouldn't have such a hard time if I have to cull any. The little black kid(dark legs,beak,solid black feathers) is a favorite. Dumb chicks.
roll.png

The little duckling is adorable!

I have my BO summer broody again. This time, she was sitting one 1 egg. I thought of letting her hatch this egg, but if I end up with another rooster I'll just cry
hit.gif

I've been trying to rehome my roo w/o any success for a couple of months now. Imagine having to deal with a second one! So, I took her egg but she is still sitting on the pine shavings, poor thing! I'm taking her twice a day to eat, drink and poop. I want to know how long she stays broody. She is a tough one!
Best to all broodies and her eggs/ babies!

The little duckling is adorable!

I have my BO summer broody again. This time, she was sitting one 1 egg. I thought of letting her hatch this egg, but if I end up with another rooster I'll just cry
hit.gif

I've been trying to rehome my roo w/o any success for a couple of months now. Imagine having to deal with a second one! So, I took her egg but she is still sitting on the pine shavings, poor thing! I'm taking her twice a day to eat, drink and poop. I want to know how long she stays broody. She is a tough one!
Best to all broodies and her eggs/ babies!
if your rooster is friendly look at animal rescue groups in your area. They might be able to take your rooster.

@AnneInTheBurbs, thanks! He was pretty expensive as far as chickens go! He's my breeding rooster for my cemani flock and they don't get out unless I am in the yard. The two groups were out free ranging together and he mated with her once, and it took! I will post a picture for you when I'm home and not on the mobile site :)

Edit, here he is:

Last edited:
When do broody moms start up laying again? My daughter brought in an egg & claims that our mama hen had laid it. it was in the run & near her & the chicks. (Chicks are 1 month + a few days old.) Hen is still caring for the chicks & they still pile in one nest box at night.

IMO I think it must have come from another hen (Cuddles not Cookie), but I wanted to know if it was possible.

Back
Top Bottom