Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I've had some sit tight for the first few days as well as the last, so she may just have been doing that. I too leave them to decide when they want to get off and stretch their legs etc. It's a good idea to have a dust bath nearby, because all mine have utilized that while they're off, one spending more time bathing than eating. Mites can become a problem for broodies because they're in the nests so long.

I agree with molpet, allow them to decide. We used to get them out but didn't notice a difference, and now that we get 30+ broodies year round it would be a logistical headache. Check the hen's keel bone and comb to judge body condition. If she starts looking rough adjust as needed.
I took my gal off once a day because she was very young (had only started laying eggs a month or so earlier) and first time. Also I only had 4 eggs under her. It all went splendidly and I now have 4, 6-week old crazy chickies running around! pooping on hay.... getting in my office.... :)

I took my gal off once a day because she was very young (had only started laying eggs a month or so earlier) and first time. Also I only had 4 eggs under her. It all went splendidly and I now have 4, 6-week old crazy chickies running around! pooping on hay.... getting in my office.... :)
You laugh (hahaha) but chick poop is gross !!! I am sure my horses aren't thrilled when they get some of those juicier nuggets :)

But they sure are cute all cuddled up there - mum on the look out like a good mama.

Attachments

• Chillaxing-at-6-weeks.jpg
    Chillaxing-at-6-weeks.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Interesting! Ginny is about 3 years old, so not sooo young anymore. As it was, she took herself off the nest this morning for 15 min. Ate and drank but no bath and no poop!

Back
Top Bottom