Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I've got one of these too; she sat in a flower pot when I went on holiday, and hatched the single egg she was on there, and then the two of them lived out 24/7 roosting in a well concealed nest close to the house till the chick was 6 weeks old when a storm blew in to drench their nest, when they moved to the log pile, in the dry but exposed, whence I drove them off, and after that night apart (I caught the chick and put it in a coop with senior members of the flock, but mum wouldn't go in, wouldn't be caught, and went back to wet nest on her own for that night), they started and have continued using that coop - phew!

Attachments

• Polka Fez hatch.JPG
    Polka Fez hatch.JPG
    532 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC03153.JPG
    DSC03153.JPG
    367.8 KB · Views: 4
I've got one of these too; she sat in a flower pot when I went on holiday, and hatched the single egg she was on there, and then the two of them lived out 24/7 roosting in a well concealed nest close to the house till the chick was 6 weeks old when a storm blew in to drench their nest, when they moved to the log pile, in the dry but exposed, whence I drove them off, and after that night apart (I caught the chick and put it in a coop with senior members of the flock, but mum wouldn't go in, wouldn't be caught, and went back to wet nest on her own for that night), they started and have continued using that coop - phew!

Here many people believe that the females that make "hidden" nests outside the coop are some of the best broodies. If they don't get caught by a predator of course. What breed is this girl?

I have never heard of this landrace before! Their eggs, and the birds themselves look beautiful!
I have 3, partridge plumage, and their eggs vary significantly in darkness and other qualities. The best one is still laying this colour despite having laid since mid Jan (I expect her to go into moult soon). Where did you read that they're considered a landrace? My understanding is that there was/is a concerted effort in the Penedes region of Spain to conserve them, so breeders are heavily involved in selection to keep what are now defined breed standards.
Pu's egg end 2nd season.jpg

this is the one that lays the darkest eggs. She and her sisters turned 2 at the end of June.

Attachments

• Puffin 23 small.jpg
    Puffin 23 small.jpg
    735.1 KB · Views: 2
I have 3, partridge plumage, and their eggs vary significantly in darkness and other qualities. The best one is still laying this colour despite having laid since mid Jan (I expect her to go into moult soon). Where did you read that they're considered a landrace? My understanding is that there was/is a concerted effort in the Penedes region of Spain to conserve them, so breeders are heavily involved in selection to keep what are now defined breed standards. View attachment 3587085
this is the one that lays the darkest eggs. She and her sisters turned 2 at the end of June.

Beautiful! I did not read anywhere that they were considered a landrace, I just assumed (which is something one should never do), so I apologize

Beautiful! I did not read anywhere that they were considered a landrace, I just assumed (which is something one should never do), so I apologize
no apologies necessary - we all make assumptions. I'm lucky to have birds only 1 generation away from Penedes foundation stock, so FYI this is what they really should look like (there's quite a lot of mis-selling of this breed a/c to posts on fb).

no apologies necessary - we all make assumptions. I'm lucky to have birds only 1 generation away from Penedes foundation stock, so FYI this is what they really should look like (there's quite a lot of mis-selling of this breed a/c to posts on fb).

Do they come in other colors? I'll try to find if they're a breed listed in the EAP

Back
Top Bottom