Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Thank you for all the replies.

Actually her bedding is pine shavings. She stayed on the nest after I dusted it with DE, stirred it around and set her back in. I hope I get some hatches from the clutch.
fl.gif
I don't know how good of a broody she's being since this is my very first one. She was off the nest for quite a while yesterday.

I will definitely get her some high protein cat food. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm sure it's a lot of work being a broody, especially with all those mites bothering her. Makes me feel so bad.

I will definitely look into spraying sevin. That sounds like a great idea.

Thank you for all the advice! I really appreciate it.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Uh-oh. Bad news.

My husband went out this morning and my mama hen was not on her nest, and he said all the eggs were pushed away from each other out to the edges. I just have a feeling that she's done for.

She's a black sex-link, which I understand is unusual for them to go broody in the first place.

This is so disappointing, but I did learn a lot.
sad.png

Can't remember how many babies she has. Either 11 or 12.

2011-05-26_20-33-26_162.jpg

The little mottled cochin broody has 1 chick, 1 pipped egg and 1 non pipped egg.

The evil barred cochin (sister to above) has 12 eggs. Really need to figure out when they're due.

Quote:
Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
they should be fine sitting together, I had several hens last year share nests and chicks and it worked out great. You might have to move them to a larger nest, {maybe something temp} till the eggs hatch if you think they might break them getting situated in the nest they are in. If they have stopped laying then you won't need to mark the eggs but if they are still laying mark your original eggs so you'll be able to keep up with them. and yes leave the chicks with them, you'll enjoy watching mama and chicks and chicks learn everything they need to know from her. Congrats and keep us updated on progress.
jumpy.gif

So...I went to check in on my broody hen and her hatched chick.....except...the chick isn't there. I tried to lift the momma up and I couldn't see the chick anywhere. OH LORDY!

Should I move her into her own broody bin. I have a spare 35 gallon rubber water trough and was thinking about converting it into a brooder for her....or I can move her into the brooder in the barn.

Opinions?!

Back
Top Bottom