Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Quote:
No, no more broody's. All my chickens are sex-links and no one else has gone broody and I don't expect them too.

It's really disappointing for my two sons (ages 10 and 12). They were sooooo excited about watching this whole process.

Guess we'll have to have patience until my all my newest chicks I purchased grow up. Hoping for a rooster or two in the bunch since I don't have a rooster either. Then I'll probably have chicks and broodies coming out of my ears!
wee.gif

Quote:
I've never heard of something like that, just a freak accident. thank goodness you were there. poor baby. How is every one doing, I saw your post earlier about them doing better, which is good but didn't find any information to help you know when you can put them back in the flock, I'd say after they stop showing symptoms. Hope the baby is okay now..

Quote:
No, no more broody's. All my chickens are sex-links and no one else has gone broody and I don't expect them too.

It's really disappointing for my two sons (ages 10 and 12). They were sooooo excited about watching this whole process.

Guess we'll have to have patience until my all my newest chicks I purchased grow up. Hoping for a rooster or two in the bunch since I don't have a rooster either. Then I'll probably have chicks and broodies coming out of my ears!
wee.gif

more than likely, how many chicks do you have? and sorry this time didn't work out.
just read you have a deleware bantam, now theres your broody. my bamtans are the best broodys and mamas.

Last edited:
Baby is a little stunned, but went back under mom when the others did and will hopefully recuperate after a good nap. I'll be checking on it again later.

Checked the two hens again this afternoon and they are showing NO symptoms! Chests are clear, noses are clear, eating/drinking/laying/pooping normally and crazy as heck about getting out of quarantine! I think I'll keep them penned up until the course of antibiotics is complete, but so far so good!

The chicks on the other hand are going through the brunt of the sickness now, poor babies
sad.png
. They're sneezy and congested, and I just hope they can make it through and that the antibiotic helps them like it helped the big girls. If not my Oxine should arrive in a couple days and I'll start misting them with that. Both the brooder babies and the broody babies are symptomatic now, fingers crossed they pull through
fl.gif

Quote:
I've never heard of something like that, just a freak accident. thank goodness you were there. poor baby. How is every one doing, I saw your post earlier about them doing better, which is good but didn't find any information to help you know when you can put them back in the flock, I'd say after they stop showing symptoms. Hope the baby is okay now..

Quote:
Four chicks are six weeks old (the RIR's) and eight chicks I just picked up the other day, so they're just a matter of days old.

I don't think I've ever seen my banty go broody.....
idunno.gif
Not in the way my sex-link did, anyway.

Quote:

Sounds good and hoping all have complete recovery, The Oxine is the best alot of people that show use it before and after shows to keep disease out of their flock. I have been using it for about a year and will always use it. I haven't had to use it for respriatory but for misting and cleaning and spraying out the coops it's great. I put it into their drinking water every other night, I also use ACV in their drinking water on the other night. So will be
fl.gif
with you let us know tomorrow how things are going.

Quote:
Four chicks are six weeks old (the RIR's) and eight chicks I just picked up the other day, so they're just a matter of days old.

I don't think I've ever seen my banty go broody.....
idunno.gif
Not in the way my sex-link did, anyway.

thats unusual, thats what most posters talk about is how broody bantams are. oh well guess not all of them. Thats too bad.

Hi everyone! I have been surfing your thread ever since I bought my first chicken in March. Chicken math hit and I now have 12 adults and 30 some chicks! But SUPER Excited! I have my very first broody! She started staying in the nesting box on Tuesday and I only saw her out of it once, another hen jumped in and when she got back to the box she thru a fit! Needless to say she is back on the box. I have never done this before and am hoping that you guys will help me out and let me know if I am doing something wrong.

So I have kind of tested her to make sure she will stay on the eggs. I took her off the next and put her down for water and food she didn't eat but did drink, then she returned to the nest. I let her keep two eggs, while I am collecting others. I plan to put as many eggs as I can get under her tomorrow evening. I have a rooster and they will be mixed flock eggs with the exception of the americauna's. But I have no way of knowing if they are fertile until I try to candle them on the 7th day. I have been collecting eggs all week to put under her.

I don't want to move her from the nest until they hatch, then I am going to move them all to a broody pen that we are currently building.

Here is my beautiful girl.
IMG_1321.jpg

Quote:
Sounds like a good plan, before you set the eggs under her you might want to mark them first. that way if one of the other hens jumps in and lays when your broody gets off for her daily constitution you'll know which one to take out. She is beautiful and Congrats on your first broody..
thumbsup.gif
keep us informed as how it goes.

Yep yep...need to remember to do that. I have 12 eggs collected so far, may get a couple more tomorrow. Since she is a standard cochin, I feel pretty confident she can handle that many and I will probably end up removing some on the 7th day for not being fertile. Next thing to do....make a candler lol. Any advice there?

Back
Top Bottom