Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

My Buff Orp just went broody about a week ago. I let her keep 6 eggs after I noticed she started staying in her nest for longer periods of time after laying. She's stopped laying and been sitting for about a week.

I've seen action in the yard indicating that the eggs could be fertile. I don't know how many of the six are fertile. As far as I can tell she had been being mated when she laid each of them. Is it possible that none of them are fertile?

How long should I wait to remove the non-fertile eggs after any of them hatch? How long will it take for them to hatch? How long before I'll know that non of them are fertile? I don't have any candling equipment and I think it'd be just as well to leave it natural.

Btw- she's so cute all puffed up and sitting on her eggs :)

And- the roo is RIR. Any idea of what the babies might look like?

Had an overly dramatic evening. I left a bowl of diluted bleach water in the kitchen sink to soak and pretty much forgot about it. Later my 9yo special needs son got a 6oz plastic cup and went to the fridge to get water. He's allowed to do that. He drank some then he went to the sink. The next thing we see him in the sink playing with his cup that is empty. Then my DH went to see what he was doing and my DS started vomiting and gasping for breathe. That's when I remembered the bowl had bleach in it. I dumped it down the drain and called 911. They came in just about 4 minutes. He had vomited it out by then and began breathing fine. But I can tell you, I was a wreck. Knowing I almost killed our son, even by accident is pretty hard to take. The EMTs were so good with him, and with me.
So thankful he's doing fine now. He's finally resting and he's been hydrated again. But wow, I just thank the Lord He was watching over us. Way more drama then my 50yo heart needs. I much prefer the drama of watching my chickens attacking bugs and treats.

Oh my gosh. Good heavens... are YOU okay? Sorry this happened.

If it comforts you ANY, when I was growing up, my friends and I got into heap-fulls of trouble. We could have fallen out of trees and broken bones. We rode our bikes into town and something bad could have happened. We jumped off of the roof, drove soap-boxes, etc.. I guess my point is-- being overprotective is worse. You can't be an all-watching overlord and suffocate the kiddo... I think you've got it-- that the right thing will work out. And I'm sure he won't drink sink water again!

Take care...

from what I understand chicks of the same breed and age girls feather up sooner than the males. The exception to that would be silkies. I have heard sexing silkies can take a couple of months. You can learn to vent sex too But I understand on that it has to be done right after they hatch or within a few hours.

deb

Interesting. Is there also something about feather arrangement? Odd, even pattern or...? I'm such a newb!

Had an overly dramatic evening. I left a bowl of diluted bleach water in the kitchen sink to soak and pretty much forgot about it. Later my 9yo special needs son got a 6oz plastic cup and went to the fridge to get water. He's allowed to do that. He drank some then he went to the sink. The next thing we see him in the sink playing with his cup that is empty. Then my DH went to see what he was doing and my DS started vomiting and gasping for breathe. That's when I remembered the bowl had bleach in it. I dumped it down the drain and called 911. They came in just about 4 minutes. He had vomited it out by then and began breathing fine. But I can tell you, I was a wreck. Knowing I almost killed our son, even by accident is pretty hard to take. The EMTs were so good with him, and with me.
So thankful he's doing fine now. He's finally resting and he's been hydrated again. But wow, I just thank the Lord He was watching over us. Way more drama then my 50yo heart needs. I much prefer the drama of watching my chickens attacking bugs and treats.

Oh wow, that had to have been scary! When I was reading this I misread the part I put in bold. I thought you said, "He had vomited it out by then and being breathing fire." I was in shock!

Glad everything is okay now!

My Buff Orp just went broody about a week ago. I let her keep 6 eggs after I noticed she started staying in her nest for longer periods of time after laying. She's stopped laying and been sitting for about a week.

I've seen action in the yard indicating that the eggs could be fertile. I don't know how many of the six are fertile. As far as I can tell she had been being mated when she laid each of them. Is it possible that none of them are fertile?

How long should I wait to remove the non-fertile eggs after any of them hatch? How long will it take for them to hatch? How long before I'll know that non of them are fertile? I don't have any candling equipment and I think it'd be just as well to leave it natural.

It takes about 21 days for the eggs to hatch, although with a broody they could hatch on day 25, I've heard of that happening on here. If 25 days go by and they haven't hatched, they probably won't. You don't even need a candler to see if there are chicks - use a strong flash light. I once did it for 4-H. After a week or so, you can use a flashlight in a dark room and you will see a difference - I just don't remember what that difference is.

If she was mated once she will be fertile for at least two weeks..... so all her eggs have the possibility of developing.

deb

Hooray!!! I have a fuzzy butt!!!
wee.gif

I heard a lot of peeping earlier but let her be. Just peeked in the dark and saw a wee fluffy yellow/white head staring at me.

Back
Top Bottom