Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Please vote if you have time!
big_smile.png

Since you all have one of the most active threads on BYC can you all help me?

The Easter Hatch has a cutest chic pics contest.

Will you all go vote for the one you think is cutest-----> HERE?

I am so excited two of my Speckled Sussex are broody, I am lucky they just have bark and no bite. I have five new eggs under the first hen, I had a weak egg under her the first time and it busted and she moved. I am putting five under the second hen today.

I have two broody BO hens, they are a week apart in their hatch dates. Broody Mama #1 was sitting on 3 eggs and was getting so bothered by the other hens trying to sit on her, that she left the nest & moved to a new nest. By the time I found the eggs, they were cold, only one was fertile. So with her sitting on a new nest of eggs, I quickly made a broody house for her, and I gathered Mama & hubby gathered the eggs. Put her & the eggs in the new nest & kept her on lock down for two days, found I did not need to, because she never moved from her spot. I have only seen her out of her Broody House once, to eat grass & stretch her legs.
On Monday after coming home from Girl Scouts I found this.... It is 1/2 Light Brahma (feathered feet) & 1/2 GLW (Daddy)

Am in the process of building a second Broody House for Broody Mama #2, who is sitting on 14 eggs inside the regular coop. I know 9 eggs are original, but other hens have been sitting on her & laying eggs. So i informed my other BO hens, that one of them needs to get broody in another week, so that any eggs that are not ready when the original eggs start hatching, can be moving under them to finish their incubation.

Hi everyone thank you so much for the help yesterday well yesterday my husband took one broody and moved her next box to its side si the opening is not straight up we use milk crates as the nests and made a little ramp so the chicks can get out in the middle of the night we took a week old chick out there and let the hen listen to chirping and she started to cluck and look around so we placed the chick next to her nothing happened chick chirped broody hen happy then we placed the chick under her during this whole thing she could not see us or the chick after a few min the chick got quiet so DH thought she has smuthered the chick so he went to look and she pecked the crud out of him and the whole time she has been broody she has never done this so we decided to take the chick out and brink it in because we realized it was limpy it gets arounf good but did not want it to get hurt since it already has a limped leg and did not know how the mom would act towards an injured chick once the sun came up so then we got 3 more chicks and as we placed one we took out eggs then we placed the second toop out eggs then placed the third broody hen repositioned herself and settled down chicks chirped a while then settled in to. this morning we checked on them they were all nesstled under her when DH checked on them to make sure they were all there they came out from under mamma and u would think they were gripping at DH with all the chirping so we put mamma back 2 went back right under her to snuggle the 3rd stooed there looking at DH crirrping so he picked it up and placed it back under her and they all got quiet. is this a good sign all went well. will mamma take them out of box and into the muddy run and floor of coop our coops floor is the ground and we hat 12hrs of rain straight and it has everything a mess this summer we plan on putting down a wodden floor.

ok another question what about the second broody she has given up on the first next after 18 days and decided to start over in a new box do i let her sit another 3 weeks or try and slip a few chicks under her to.

also when mamma takes babies out will the other hens and roo hurt them i was not able to move her to second coop that is empty a tree fell on it during storm and put a hole in the roof

I have two broody BO hens, they are a week apart in their hatch dates. Broody Mama #1 was sitting on 3 eggs and was getting so bothered by the other hens trying to sit on her, that she left the nest & moved to a new nest. By the time I found the eggs, they were cold, only one was fertile. So with her sitting on a new nest of eggs, I quickly made a broody house for her, and I gathered Mama & hubby gathered the eggs. Put her & the eggs in the new nest & kept her on lock down for two days, found I did not need to, because she never moved from her spot. I have only seen her out of her Broody House once, to eat grass & stretch her legs.
On Monday after coming home from Girl Scouts I found this.... It is 1/2 Light Brahma (feathered feet) & 1/2 GLW (Daddy)

Am in the process of building a second Broody House for Broody Mama #2, who is sitting on 14 eggs inside the regular coop. I know 9 eggs are original, but other hens have been sitting on her & laying eggs. So i informed my other BO hens, that one of them needs to get broody in another week, so that any eggs that are not ready when the original eggs start hatching, can be moving under them to finish their incubation.

how do u build a broody house is it just another coop or smaller

To me it means an area where the hen can brood her eggs and hatch them undisturbed by everyone else. I believe that some people have separate coops maybe even with their own runs, and others, like me used a dog crate inside the coop. Whatever it is should be large enough to allow the hen to have food and water with her, I kept those within reach if she stretched her neck. A broody area gives her privacy so others aren't bugging her, and especially getting in the nest and harming her eggs or chicks.

how do u build a broody house is it just another coop or smaller

Hi Countrygirl911,
I used a small wood pallet as the base & just built around it. It is about 3 x 3, with a pitched roof and an open top nest box. Enough room for her to get out of her nest box to eat & dring (have food & water inside), and a 12" x 12" door for her to go in & out of. Will need to take outside pic.

Yeah! I'm glad the 1st broody took to the chicks - she must have really wanted some babies. Usually older chicks are hard to imprint with the mom - but since it worked out - great! She will teach them all they need to know and keep them warm.

As far as the other broody - you can certainly try to give her chicks too - but remember all chickens are different and she may not take them as easily. My experience with Smokey was just with swapping eggs so I haven't had a chance to try chicks with her yet. I'd recommend trying the same process you did with the 1st broody - if it works - great! If not, maybe broody #1 will still be interested?

As far as others hurting the babies - I can tell you my docile petite Smokey turned into a fierce force to be reckoned with the 1st couple of weeks with the babies. She took on the roosters and other pullets - anyone who even looked in the direction of her babies took a beating. So - yes your broody will defend her babies.

Hi everyone thank you so much for the help yesterday well yesterday my husband took one broody and moved her next box to its side si the opening is not straight up we use milk crates as the nests and made a little ramp so the chicks can get out in the middle of the night we took a week old chick out there and let the hen listen to chirping and she started to cluck and look around so we placed the chick next to her nothing happened chick chirped broody hen happy then we placed the chick under her during this whole thing she could not see us or the chick after a few min the chick got quiet so DH thought she has smuthered the chick so he went to look and she pecked the crud out of him and the whole time she has been broody she has never done this so we decided to take the chick out and brink it in because we realized it was limpy it gets arounf good but did not want it to get hurt since it already has a limped leg and did not know how the mom would act towards an injured chick once the sun came up so then we got 3 more chicks and as we placed one we took out eggs then we placed the second toop out eggs then placed the third broody hen repositioned herself and settled down chicks chirped a while then settled in to. this morning we checked on them they were all nesstled under her when DH checked on them to make sure they were all there they came out from under mamma and u would think they were gripping at DH with all the chirping so we put mamma back 2 went back right under her to snuggle the 3rd stooed there looking at DH crirrping so he picked it up and placed it back under her and they all got quiet. is this a good sign all went well. will mamma take them out of box and into the muddy run and floor of coop our coops floor is the ground and we hat 12hrs of rain straight and it has everything a mess this summer we plan on putting down a wodden floor.

ok another question what about the second broody she has given up on the first next after 18 days and decided to start over in a new box do i let her sit another 3 weeks or try and slip a few chicks under her to.

also when mamma takes babies out will the other hens and roo hurt them i was not able to move her to second coop that is empty a tree fell on it during storm and put a hole in the roof

Awwwhhhh - so cute!
wee.gif

Hope your BO listens well.

Yeah! Keep us posted about what happens! And post pics after they hatch please.

I am so excited two of my Speckled Sussex are broody, I am lucky they just have bark and no bite. I have five new eggs under the first hen, I had a weak egg under her the first time and it busted and she moved. I am putting five under the second hen today.

Back
Top Bottom